Notify
Tools

storing reloads
 Login/Join

posted
what is the shelf life of reloaded ammo

one of us
posted Hide Post
Correctly loaded and stored. Probably a life time.
I have fired some of my own that were about 30 years old.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just shot some of my 06's that I loaded back in 1969.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I keep mine in a cool dry spot and like the others said it will last longer than you will!

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have some 45 colt auto reloads that were done in 1982.every now and then i take some out and they stil go bang.cool and dry is the key

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Agreed. The garage is probably not a good place.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Reloads will last no differently than factory ammo. I have 45 acp rounds from WWII that were properly stored and are still good. I have 12 guage shells from the early 80's that weren't stored well at all. only about 50% went bang at all. A few 38 special rounds I reloaded ended up loose on the dash of my truck. It's hot and humid down here in SC. After about a year I noticed them up there and tried shooting them, all three were dead. Those rounds were "stored" at 90+% humidity and the interior of that truck would hit 160F no problem during the summer months.

When I am loading ammo that I plan on storing away, I wear gloves while loading it, to keep oils from my skin off of it. Then I put it in ammo cans, along with a few dessicant packs, seal it, and stack it in my closet.

Posts: 226 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cool dry basement best no garage ok

Posts: 170 | Location: ky | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote