New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chronographs
 Login/Join

<stanmyers>
posted
Does the basic Chrony(name brand) work as accurately as their higher priced models. It looks like the more you pay with them, you just get bells and whistles.

TIA

Stan

Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
I've used both the F1 basic and a Beta Master and other than the addition of a couple options, they function exactly the same.

The one thing I do like about the versions with the remote display is that occasionally some unburnt powder will hit the front of the Chrony and it can screw up the LCD.

Canuck

Posts: 7122 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Had my Alpha Master Chrony about 3 years works fine but have never tested it against another make ,has any one else.

------------------

Posts: 5 | Location: England | Registered: 14 April 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
You can get a reconditioned unit for about $45. Chrony I think.

As I understand it, the distance between the sensors is fixed/pre-set. And it's not a great distance. The greater the distance between sensors, the more accurate your readings.

Oehler lets you adjust the distance between sensors according to how you want to set up your unit. Oehler provides a "proof screen" so that you get readings that are double checked. I have a 2 foot, 4 foot, and 8 foot rail. Rails are easily made from 1/2" EMT conduit, and cheap.

The Oehler 35P w/ printer will give you up to a 255 shot string, compute high/low velocity, extreme spread, average velocity, and standard deviation. Prints with real ink on to a hard copy adding maching tape.

You want your readout on your bench, not down range. Trust me on this one.

I ordered my Oehler on Friday. Had it in hand the following Thursday. Texas to Oregon, UPS ground shipping.

Oehler service is superb. They offer a no hassle, lifetime warranty.

By the time you get comparable features on the other units, you're within $25 on price -- and you don't get the lifetime warranty.

Oehler makes measurement systems for the US govt.

The $45 reconditioned unit will get you by. You get what you pay for.

I have some $1,000 guns and spend hundreds in ammo/reloading costs. Seems like $345 for a nice chronograph is a pretty sound investment.

------------------
.223 Ackley Improved Wildcat Forum:
http://www.hotboards.com/plus/plus.mirage?who=223ackleyimproved

[This message has been edited by Genghis (edited 05-05-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Ditto what Canuck said, get the remote unit. Shoot, look down at the bench, log the velocity in your notebook. Simple.

Genghis is correct also, Oehlers are The Kind. I couldn't afford one.

------------------

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger Rothschild:
Ditto what Canuck said, get the remote unit. Shoot, look down at the bench, log the velocity in your notebook. Simple.

Genghis is correct also, Oehlers are The Kind. I couldn't afford one.

Early last spring several of us, at our gun club were debating chronographs. I have a ProChrono Digital w/remote. Also represented were a Pact, Chrony ($45), and a Mod 43 setup.

We set our units up in line and shot over them. Rotated through all four units. Ten shots each time and couldn't see 25fps difference.

Get the bells and whistles if you want. I did. Computer link cable I've used once. The remote I use if I don't forget it. Then I walk a few feet.

Why get printer capability? All of them store enough shots and strings so that you can record results in your notebook after you are finished.

Get what you want. Hopefully save enough to get Quickload to go with it. Don't worry about the accuracy provided by different models. Doesn't make any difference.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have one of the original models. (no bells and whistles) It has given many years of good service. If I ever shoot the LCD I'll probably go with an Oehler, but until then... You can see the LCD easily at 10' from the bench, no need for a remote. How accurate? Don't know-never compared it. But I usually use it "relative" to factory ammo. Sometimes, it'll give a flakey reading with .17's but not often.

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is a good question as i too am looking at buying a chronograph.
Not looking at the Shooting Chrony's,more interested in differences in the Oehler 35P,
the Pact Pro,and the CED Mellinium.
Anyone have any comparisons to relate,pros,cons?
I am leaning towards the Oehler without the printer as i don't see the need that pen and paper won't take care of,plus saves over $100.00
Pact has not impressed me with customer service in the past,( scale )and i do not know much about CED.
Tyring to make an educated purchase,any advice is appreciated.
Z

quote:
Originally posted by stanmyers:
Does the basic Chrony(name brand) work as accurately as their higher priced models. It looks like the more you pay with them, you just get bells and whistles.

TIA

Stan

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
I'm sold on my Oehler 35P with printer. Saeed is sold on the Oehler -- which is what sold me.

I've had excellent service from Oehler, really outstanding support. Fast shipping (under a week UPS ground). Lifetime warranty.

GET THE PRINTER!!!

The printer gives you the string, high, low, extreme spread, mean velocity, and standard deviation. The data is ink printed on an adding machine roll. You get a solid, accurate copy. Lots of room to annotate on the tape.

I stash my tapes in an envelope with the reload data page.

I figure the cost of the printer is about the same as seven boxes of bullets, 6 lbs of powder, couple tanks of gas. And it's not going to get "consumed." You'll appreciate the printer data. I promise!

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Genghis,
Thanks for the advice.
I am going with the Oehler,and will probably
opt for the printer model.
It would be handy to have a inked copy to keep on file with the load info.
How long does the battery last when you use the printer?
Now who knows the best place to buy it from,or do i just go ahead and get it from Oehler.
I do like to support the small buisiness man
but no one locally carries them.
Thanks,
Z

Posts: 95 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
<KING>
posted
I just purchased a CED Mill. Chron. Haven't received it as of yet but will let you'all know how it works after I use It. Oehler is made in the heart of TX. They are the best, if you've got the bucks buy the Oehler.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have owned and used both, the Ohler is better, the Chrony is easier to take to the range and use (and lot's cheaper). As well, if you're ordering from Canada, Ohler will now charge you an extra $25 (on top of shipping fees) to ship. I'm not sure why, perhaps someone has information. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I think Dan makes a very good point. I like my chrony for that reason. Grab the box and the tripod, and presto, you have a chrony set up.

Now, if I were working on a wildcat, or needed the pressure gizmo, etc, etc, the Oehler would probably win. But, for the a casual user like me, it's hard to beat the convenience of the Chrony. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
Oehler cost me $7.99 to ship UPS ground. US funds.

We used the machine from 7 am until about 4 pm yesterday and the battery is still fine. We didn't shoot the whole time, and we turned the thing off when cleaning guns or setting targets. Longer strings and less computing of shots makes the batter last longer. It's possible to turn off the printer and just run the box.

I think the book says 8 hrs continuous use for the printer.

There's a spare battery storage in the unit.

Eat yer heart out . . . I have a buddy who is a cardio-surgical nurse. They put a new battery in the pacemaker before surgery. Guess what? The pacemaker batter is the same as the chrono battery. We have about ten gallons of pretty new pacemaker batteries right now. More coming in every day.

The printer computes high/low velocity, extreme spread, mean velocity, standard deviation. The Oehler "proof screen" prints out both readings from both screens. It computes the data from the first screen only.

That printer pays for itself about the first hour of use. You get about ten times the data, and you don't have to crunch any figures or risk transposing your integers.

------------------

one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
I just got the basic Chrony, first session showed me I should have got the remote. My eyes are not good enough to see the digital read out with out taking a few steps towards it.

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Oehler - I have one, and I think theirs are the best. But for the money, a simple Chrony (have one of these too), is plenty good enough for the casual user-a person who is not making a living developing loading data!! My Chrony and my Oehler are within about 10 FPS of one another in accuracy of velocity measurement.