New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommended Die For Ruger Scout GSR 308
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My buddy just got a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle.

While he is experienced at reloading for handguns he asked me about dies for the Ruger.

As you may know this is a bolt action rifle, but it feeds from a detachable box style magazine.

I would think that the 308 Win small base full length dies would be the way to go considering that it is feed from those magazines. Like we use in semi auto rifles such as ARs and in M1A's and that type of thing

But being it is a manual bolt action rifle, it could be better with a standard FL die too.

Beings I don't have any experience with these Scout type rifles I thought I would ask here after a couple of searches didn't turn up anything about the dies.

The dies would be probably be Redding in either case.

What do you guys that have these rifles use and recommend?

Thanks for your inputs guys.

Ruger GSR

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The Magazine is not important to the die type. Start with a FL Die set and fit it to the Chamber like you would any other Bolt. It will feed fine from the detachable mag as long as your Over All Length doesn't provide interference by the bullet tip inside the mag.
The small base dies are meant to reduce the case to minimum dimensions for the loading and extracting reliability of the Auto Loaders. Many times not needed there either...

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
If you have to buy dies anyway, there is absolutely no downside to small base dies. Then your ammo will work in anything.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both of those makes sense .

Sometimes the Reddings are almost at SB dimensions anyway.

I agree with you Fury about the SB dies. But I have also seen "better" (maybe smoother) feeding into the action from the magazines with the sb dies too. May be other factors involved too such as springs or followers and mag qc as well.

Maybe some guys that have these Scouts will throw in too.

Thanks.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Having several 308 rifles of various flavors, I want full interchangabilty with my handloads. For the same reason, I use 4895 or 4064 for my '06 loads so they are compatible with both my Garand and my 03's. Maximizing the utility of all components does not cost any more from the outset, and sure makes life easier.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2271 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too agree with that Lee. I wish I could just have about 3 or 4 of those old 40 pound kegs of powder to do it all. Thank you for your inputs.