Find
Notify
Tools

what do you use to load at the range
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted
looking for ideas on hoe to set up at the range so i can develope loads.
Type of equipement.
Any good fold out carry or box designs.
Thanks dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ifound the lee turret press worked better than a c-press. it is bolted to a piece of 2X6 and c-clamped to the shooting bench. i do not use the auto-index. i got the idea from one of dean grennel's "ABC's of reloading", they are the first 5 editions. i think they are worth looking for as a must have.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Redding Boss press, which I think is slightly smaller than an RCBS Rockchucker. It is bolted to a 2X4 that I C-clamp to a bench at the range, and also at home. This 2X4 also has a powder measure mounted on it.

I bring primed brass to the range so all I have to do is throw powder and seat a bullet.

One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
I use a Sinclair press and Wilson dies.

One of Us
Picture of br6ppc1
posted Hide Post
If money is a concern, use a RCBS, Lee, etc.bolted to a piece of metal plate or wood. I use a Sinclair arbor press with Wilson dies or my favorite, The Hood press built by Charlie Hood. You can find info on Benchrest Central. This press can be used with threaded dies and Wilson dies. The mount plate is detachable and the whole press can be put in the drawer of a toolbox like a Craftsman or Kennedy 3 drawer box. It's a nice press.

Posts: 92 | Location: Eastman, GA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Mark. When I leave the house, all my brass is prepped & primed. On site, I use a standard press to seat the bullet and a Lee hand press set up with a factory crimp die.

If you can't have fun when you go out, STAY HOME !

Posts: 234 | Location: 40 miles east of Dallas | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have my presses mounted to a board, which I clamp to the bench at home and clamp to a table at the range. I aslo clamp the powder measure bracket to the board. I used to use C clamps, but now I use the new bike brake squeeze type with trigger release.

I like to load one round at a time at home and at the range. I need 5 presses:
1) decap [first press is a cheap Lee reloader]
2) clean neck with steel wool
3) clean primer pocket
4) seat primer [second press is a Lee with Lee Auto prime II
5) lube case with Imperial Die Wax
6) FL resize with third press, Rockchucker press, but don't set the shoulder back, and keep expander ball away from brass.
7) charge case with powder
8) Seat the bullet with fourth press, small RCBS

Why do one round at a time?
So I only pull one bullet at a time.
And, I can shoot a group with one case, and see how long the brass lasts with that load.

Why 5 presses when I only use four?
Sometimes I have to bell the mouth.

Picture of 5 presses:
http://www.thehighroad.org/attachment.php?s=&postid=260370

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I'm just an old fuddy duddy, but I never reload at the range. I did at one time, but it has a tendency to draw a small crowd, and it becomes distracting as all hell. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is easy to load at the range.
It is easy to load at home.

The trick is organizing the loading equiptment in a way that stays orgainzed when it moves:
1) The 30-06 box has 30-06 brass and dies
2) The .308 bullet box has .308 bullets.
3) The 30-30 box has 30-30 brass and dies.

Notice there are no shelves involved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee hand press to decap, and a RCBS to resize and seat. I find that the best way to measure charges is in my vehicle using a Lyman scale. Wind on the scale, digital or regular, makes it almost impossible to measure a charge anywhere but in the vehicle. I keep all the stuff I use in a wooden box and check it against a check list to make sure I have the hex wrenches, priming tool, primers, bullets, powders etc. It is so easy to forget something, but this is the best way to really work up you loads. Kudude

Posts: 1473 | Location: Tallahassee, Florida | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Clark, what do you use for boxes.
I was thinking about something like tupperware.
Dave

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Huntington 2 arm small press, can just hold it, no need to mount it at all. Works for me.
Best Regards, Tom Big Grin

Posts: 262 | Location: Wyoming, U.S.A. | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I bolted a VAN to my press, for handloading at the range.

Go to:

www.castpics.net

and then to Special Projects, and then to "Der Schuetzenwagen" for some rather out-of-date pictures. Many improvements have been added since the original pics were taken.

A clapped-out old van can be a VERY effective shooting accessory. This is probably the very best shooting toy I've ever owned, and I love it!

Regards from BruceB (aka Bren Mk1)

Posts: 437 | Location: nevada | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
BRUCE: LOVE THE VAN, Needs a little sound proofin and your ready to go

one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway has a portable reloading table that is on sale for $50 or so IIRC. I have a 1" thick plywood base bolted to mine with a Lee press and an RCBS mounting plate bolted to the plywood. The mounting plate lets me mount most RCBS "things" like a powder measure and a case trimmer or press to it. It comes apart for transportation and doesn't require clamping to anything at the range.

Fast Ed

Measure your manhood not by success, but by significance.

Posts: 128 | Location: Delafield, Wi. | Registered: 06 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use file folder boxes with two handles.
I don't use the lids.
The boxes:

1) Rifle rest, rear bag, ear protectors, eye protectors, staple guns, staples, and a file of targets.

2) Bore cleaning equiptment. The liquid is in a tub that sits on top of Tupperware for the brushs and jags.

3) Plastic ammo boxes stacked in a box.

4) Primering equiptment and primers

5) Scale, concentricity gauge, dial calipers, shell holders, chamfer, primer pocket cleaners, powders, wrenches.

6) A long cardboard tube with all the cleaning rods.

7) extra gun cases, in case I buy more guns while I'm out.

8) A box of scopes

9) a box of scope mounts and rings

10) a tool box of gunsmithing tools

And then I pick up my brother, and he dumps his stuff on top of mine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ever think about maybe trying a tackle box of sorts? You might not be able to keep a press in there, but the other odds and ends...

Posts: 986 | Location: Columbia, SC | Registered: 22 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jim White
posted Hide Post
I use a Sinclair arbor press, Wilson dies, Harrell powder measure and RCBS priming tool and keep it all in a Pachmayr pistol box. There's also plenty of room for all the peripheral crap you've got to have. Jim

99% of the democrats give the rest a bad name.

"O" = zero

NRA life member

Posts: 730 | Location: Prescott, AZ | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
thanks for all the comments: picked up a rcbs turrent press today. I have the scale ,powder measure and most of the odds and ends.
I will look for a tackel box of sorts to put every thingin. i will check out the dollar store for diffrent style and size containers.
Dave