Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Primers-oversized?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 63
posted
A few months ago, I bought 1000 Remington 91/2 Large Rifle Primers, rather than my usual CCI Primers, as they were all my local shop had in stock. They are brass/gold in colour rather than the more usual silver.

Since I've had them, I've noticed that they were a bit of a tight fit in my .243 (Federal and Remington Brass); I had to exert more force than normal whilst priming (Lee Autoprime) and the primers would often sit very slightly proud. In my bolt action .243 this made no difference, and I paid little attention.

However, I've been trying to load for my 7x57R break action combi-gun and they are such a tight fit that they sit well proud of the case (S&B Brass) and prevent the action from closing.

Are remington primers known for being oversized? Or is it likely to be the brass that needs the pockets uniforming? I don't have a uniformer or a different brand of primer conveniently to hand....

Posts: 80 | Location: Chester | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the last rem. primers i had seemed a little loose. my primer tool was real easy to prime the cases. i took them out, and went back with my CCI. my primer tool went back to being snug. i only use CCI OR WLR.

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vines:
the last rem. primers i had seemed a little loose. my primer tool was real easy to prime the cases. i took them out, and went back with my CCI. my primer tool went back to being snug. i only use CCI OR WLR.

I have the same exp. In some brass, like RWS, primer pockets are a bit smaller so I found RP primers fit just right where Fed. or CCI won't seat cleaningly. DId you measure OA thickness? Maybe the RP is jsut a bit thicker OA.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like Vines and FredJ my Remington's seemed undersized - to the point of almost falling out of the latest batch of brass I'm using. Switched to Federal for this brass and have no problems.

Mike

Posts: 100 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO, USA | Registered: 10 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue with a batch Win LR and LR Mag. primers, that are about 0.02 mm. smaller in diameter than CCI primers. They fit loose in almost any brass brand, even new. I had to dismiss them.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
S&B brass has tight pockets on some and small flash holes. I ream all primer pockets and all flash holes and don’t have a problem.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington 9 1/2 primers are thicker. I couldn't load 100 of them into the primer tubes used for loading primers into my Dillon Press. You can easily do so with WLR's...........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote