THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    My smokeless 45-70 loads for 303 Guy, because he asked for them...

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My smokeless 45-70 loads for 303 Guy, because he asked for them...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted
On another thread 303 Guy asked me for info on my 45-70 smokeless loads I'm working on...

First, these loads are specifically going to be shot from my Contender handgun with a 14" brake'd factory TC barrel. For those not familiar with loading this caliber for the contender, it is treated to the same levels as "Trapdoor Springfield" loads.

I have mostly been shooting blackpowder loads from it, as that's what I shoot from my 45-70 1886 Winchester. It's all been just for "fun" (and believe me, FUN it is!), until now. I decided to stop just playing with this barrel and see if I can get it to shoot as good as the rest of my Contender barrels do (which have all but one been fantastic shooters).

So far the only smokeless bullets I have on hand have been Meister brand 405 gr round nose flat point bullets. I've had this box of bullets forever it seems, but it's the only weight I have to work with for now. All my blackpowder bullets are hand cast by me and lubed with SPG brand blackpowder lube.

So, these loads listed are all same said bullet, and Rem 9 1/2 large rifle primers, bullets are seated just off the lands in my barrel, and each round is individually checked in my chamber before being dropped in the cartridge box. Since this is a single shot, all cartridges are left un-crimped, and slightly belled at the casemouth. This does not prevent chambering:

IMR 4198

I've started at 27.5 grs, and loaded to a max of 31.5 grs. As I commented earlier, this powder leaves MUCH room in case!

IMR 4064

I've started at 47.0 grs and loaded to a max of 49.0 grs

Varget

I've started at 46.0 grs and loaded to a max of 50.0 grs. The last increment of this powder is a full case.

Benchmark

I've started at 47.0 grs and loaded to a max of 50.0 grs. The last 2 increments of this powder are full, and slightly compressed.

My intentions were to take the whole lot to the shooting range today and do some accuracy testing with 5 shot strings of each in .5 gr increments loaded and ready.

Unfortunately, domestic demands have prevented that for another week (honey-do's, the bane of every shooter/hunter's existence!)

So, range report NEXT Sunday evening (hopefully). I intend to start each powder type at the bottom of my ladder and shoot each 5 shot group, and record the results in my notebook. If I get any stellar performers, I will save that or those targets and post the pictures thereof when I make my range report.

I'm unsure what to expect accuracy wise, and have no preconceived notions either way. However, the factory barrel is only a 1-14" twist, so it wouldn't surprise me if the barrel ended up liking a 300-350 gr bullet better...

We shall see.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
Thank you kindly, Slowpoke Slim. Much appreciated! beer

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote