Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone use Hawk bullets??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
Going to Newfoundland after Mr. Moose next Sept. with my Ruger #1 45-70. I have some 400 gr Hawks (.035 jackets) moving at about 2200 fps (custom chamber). I Got one in New Hampshire using Speer 350gr FN's and they hardly penetrated at all!! I'm hoping the Hawks will work a bit better.

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Hawk .474 500 grain bullets on an elk and they were great.

I also use them in .585 nyati.

They expand like upside down umbrellas inside of game.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are just too soft regardless of the jacket thickness and tend to flatten out and seperate..I shot a lot of game with them and had a lot of jacket seperations...they don't penitrate and are not designed to penitrate..

They do make a varity of unavailable bullets for older rifles and probably work fine in some of the older calibers. They are not bonded core.

I have not tried the .060 jackets.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Paul Dustin>
posted
I agree with RAY for old rifles or pistol they work great

<RugerNo3>
posted
It is not reccommended to use a dual base powder with the Hawks. That soft copper can slug up and cause a pressure spike. It's hard to believe a 350 Speer or Hornady RN wouldn't get the job done. The next step would be the 405gr Remington. Greatly underrated by those that don't know it's potential.

------------------
"Use A Big Enough Gun!"

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Since it's in a Ruger #1, I'd go with the X bullet, or a swift a-frame, you will not lack penetration!

A buddy loads the same bullet 2500 from his win mag, and has taken several moose with it with utter satisfaction. I wouldn't a** shoot a moose with it, but I wouldn't hesitate to use it on a broadside or quartering shot.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
I've used Hawks in 30 Gibbs (200 gr .035 jacket), 416 Rigby (400 gr .050 jacket) and 470 NE (500 gr .050 jacket). I haven't hunted with them because I don't trust them. I had to reduce my loads by 5-10% to get the pressures back down to a reasonable level. I have a few boxes of these and will shoot them up, but I won't buy any more and I won't hunt with them. Swifts, BarnesX and Northfork are all very good penetrators.
Good Hunting.

------------------
Andy Cooper

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Blackwater>
posted
You might want to take a look at:

http://www.hunting-rifles.com/kodiak.htm

I haven't used them, but they look pretty interesting, and when I get a round tuit, I do plan to try a box or so.

FYI?