Find
Notify
Tools

hollow point for hornet?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents!

After an incident with a S&B Factory SP on a goose this autumn I would like to have a HP bullet for my .22 hornet, but I do not want it to have a varmint effect as I intend to eat the geese and capercallies. I am not interested in loads of lead fragments in my food.
On the other hand I do not want them to take off after beeing hit either.

Good trajectory and accuracy, reliable and immediate expansion without fragmentation is what I am looking for.

Legal requirements state minimum 40 grains and the barrel does not stabilize anything above 50 grain.

Any suggestions for suitable bullets?

45gn hdy Hp Bee?
46gn winchester HP?
45gn remington HP?
40gn Hdy FP Bee?

Others?

I have tried the 40gn hdy V-max and it is super accurate, but it behaves like a FMJ on everything from a magpie to a red fox.

Sincerely

Daniel

Posts: 271 | Location: 68°N, Lapland Sweden | Registered: 17 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cutting Edge has a 40gr Raptor. They are made from solid brass.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barnes 45 gr TSX? You ought to be able to get it to at least 2800 fps. If you've got a 1:14" or faster twist it should stabilize.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
40 Grain Sierra HP bullets are not that aggressive in a 22 Hornet. I have never shot a goose with one so I wouldn’t know about the lead shrapnel problems it might have. If you load the 55 grain Sierra HPBT in the Hornet at around 2400 fps, that might work for you.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll be loading the Cutting Edge bullets. I'll let you know how they work. I expect nothing less than spectacular!

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Code4
posted Hide Post
W-W 46Hp is what I use in my .218Bee as it is very accurate. Muzzle velocity is 3,000 fps in my Ruger no.1 and it does not fragment.

I'm sure that with the slightly lower impact velocity of the Hornet is will provide you with the terminal performance you want.

Posts: 1433 | Location: Australia | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
40 Grain Sierra HP bullets

Posts: 339 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 January 2008Reply With Quote