New
Find
Notify
Tools

WTB - Bullet used in Razorback XT .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anybody know if Winchester's 64gr. bullets (used in their Razorback XT in .223) are available as components?

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Palladin8:
are these what you are after?

The bullet used in the Razorback XT .223 ammo is lead free. Similar to the Barnes TSX or the Hornady GMX bullets..... but slightly different.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Midway had an overrun on sale at one time a couple weeks ago, but I believe they sold out almost immediately. I would call customer support and try that. They are not usually available.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
It seems like you would need a mighty fast twist (1:7 or 1:9 ??) to stabilize such a long bullet.

Has anyone gotten good accuracy out of a 1:12 twist?

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2507 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
It seems like you would need a mighty fast twist (1:7 or 1:9 ??) to stabilize such a long bullet.

Has anyone gotten good accuracy out of a 1:12 twist?

Probably not.

They're designed for faster twists.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not haveing the lenght of the Rem bullet, I ran a Barnes 62gr TSX in my twist program and found that it still took 1/10" @ 5000fps. They might work in a 1/12" 22-378 Weatherby at 7000fps.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
Jumping in late on this thread . I have had poor accuracy with the razorbacks . I do have a 223 1/12 twist I would assume its partially to blame. Do any of you find it troubling that shooting a less than accurate round at critters makes no sense? I live in CA. and these are a legal option. I would rather shoot what works based on merit not hype...Still looking for a straight flying lead free bullet. If anyone has found a decent load for a 1/12 twist please pass it on thanks.

I Might Be Tired From Hunting ,
But I Will Never Tire Of Hunting .

Posts: 200 | Location: CA,U.S.A. | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fat_Albert:
Not haveing the lenght of the Rem bullet, I ran a Barnes 62gr TSX in my twist program and found that it still took 1/10" @ 5000fps. They might work in a 1/12" 22-378 Weatherby at 7000fps.

eh....well....ok

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
.Still looking for a straight flying lead free bullet. If anyone has found a decent load for a 1/12 twist please pass it on

Try the Barnes 45gr TSX, and push it fast.

I get very good accuracy out of my Ruger M77 22 Hornet using the 45gr XLC. With 13.0grs of Lilgun, I'm at 2,900fps. When I run out of XLC's, I'll switch to TSX's.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
Thanks I will try to round some up. Do you have a 1/12 twist in the Ruger 22 Hornet? ... The twist program notes are helpful thanks for the info. My little single shot shoots v-max and hollow points like a dream. Just need a lead free to be legal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that last mythical condor ever dies and you can use lead again, the Nosler Bonded Performance bullets are pretty accurate and pretty tough.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CLL
posted Hide Post
I don't really think all that much lead ends up in gut piles from deer and pig hunting. Even on good years I don't shoot a lot of bullets . spray and pray isn't my type of shooting at critters. . . I did like the CT ballistic silver tip in 223. I don't always use a 22cal for deer and pigs. Just want a good option when I do. So I will keep searching for the right recipe.