Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone still shooting the 357 Supermag?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
Haven't heard much about this cartridge lately. Wondering if it is still being used by anyone else. I used it for IHMSA in a Dan Wesson revolver and have used it some for hunting. Works great with 180-200gr bullets.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Some 357 Maximum data here:

http://www.bellmtcs.com/store/index.php?cid=121

and look at www.lasc.us for articles by Fryxell

Then mosey to the Cast Boolit forum group and

last but not least use www.webcrawler.com to search for:

357 Maximum.

or

Fryxell

All of that ought to keep you entertained for a few minutes.

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ofcourse I shoot my Dan Wesson mod 40-V8S .357 Supermag and T/C G2 Remington Maximum 14" bull barrel.
I am looking for lewer action rifle too, in vain, I think. sofa

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K. W.:
Ofcourse I shoot my Dan Wesson mod 40-V8S .357 Supermag and T/C G2 Remington Maximum 14" bull barrel.
I am looking for lewer action rifle too, in vain, I think. sofa

My brother bought a Ruger #3 in 357 mag and reamed it out to 357 Supermag. That was a damned nice little rifle Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Many people are buying handi rifles in 357 and reaming them out too.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
This may be something that would interest your brother.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/...wflat/Number/3328955

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also shoot my DW mod 40-V8S and in the process of putting together a T/C Encore in 357 max. I also have a pair of Rugers, one 7-1/2" and one 10" that are still NIB

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HerrMesser:
I also shoot my DW mod 40-V8S and in the process of putting together a T/C Encore in 357 max. I also have a pair of Rugers, one 7-1/2" and one 10" that are still NIB

Rad

Was anyone ever able to overcome the design flaws between Rem and Ruger in cutting the topstrap on the Ruger revolvers? My DW has had close to 5000 rounds thru it with no problems but of course it is made of 17-4PH and I only ever shot 180 or 200gr bullets.

Have gun- Will travel

one of us
posted Hide Post
Not that I know of. I have both a DW 40 and a Ruger. The Ruger is in the process of being built into a 475 Linebaugh Max. I'll keep the DW though, to accurate to give up. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
Was anyone ever able to overcome the design flaws between Rem and Ruger in cutting the topstrap on the Ruger revolvers?

Well, yes and no. The outfit which made the Seville revolvers just afterward in Tucson, I think it was, did discover what the problem was and solved it in their revolvers. They simply made the cylinders about 1/8" longer.

Hard to believe, but apparently the pressure drops enough in that little distance to eliminate the cutting problem.

Of course, there is really nothing that can be done in that regard at reasonable cost to make it worth doing on the original Rugers....and they are becoming worth too much as collector guns to modify them anyway. (And everyone which is converted to a Linebaugh Mag just makes the originals worth more!)

I too have a pair (7-1/2" and 10") put away in their original boxes without ever even having their cylinders turned after being bought new.

I hope God lets me know when it is about time to go. I'll fire them both just for the heck of it if I haven't already traded them for something I might want more. In the meantime, I'll just keep on keepin' on with the one in a T/C Contender.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote