New
Find
Notify
Tools

Large pistol or Large Pistol Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Years ago, I bought a gazillion CCI Large Magnum primers. I used them for my 44mag with heavy H110 loads down to 8gr Unique loads. So now I am down to last bunch. Is there anything gained or loss by switching to Large Pistol primers? Should I have been using the Large Pistol with the plinking Unique loads

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would continue to use magnum primers with ball powders (such as H110 and 296) since you already know and have confidence in the loads you've been using. To be on the safe side I would back off 5% on each of your present loads when you change primers (even to other brand magnum primers)and work back up to the loads you want without exceeding the maximum recommended.

I standardized on Federal primers many years ago and since I always start under maximum and work up I have never gotten in trouble. If I cange ANYTHING, I take the same advice I just listed here.

Good Luck!

Michael

Posts: 8 | Location: KSSR | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
I've always used standard primers with the "old" Unique (haven't tried any of the newer, supposedly cleaner burning Unique yet) in 44 Mag and 45 Colt mid-range loads, and never noticed anything that would suggest a need for the maggies.

When using H110/W296, the general consensus has always been to use the magnums, so I did.

Rather than stocking a variety of primers, if the magnums have always worked okay for you, I'd buy another gazillion (man, that's a LOT ).

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you go to standard large pistol primers you should notice a reduction in pressure, ergo, a reduction in recoil and velocity. If you are happy with mag. primers I would stay with them, but if you want to change you should start at beginning loads and go from there, IMHO.
Good luck and good shooting,
Eterry

Posts: 849 | Location: Between Doan's Crossing and Red River Station | Registered: 22 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I would keep the magnum primers for the H110 loads. You could use a regular primer for the light unique loads. You might try just picking up one box of regulars and load them to compare with the magnums before you buy another case.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
See the problem is with pistols, the pistol will outshoot the shooter 90% of the time, it always has for me. So picking out components like you do with benchrest shooting, is much easier than with pistols. I like to buy things in bulk, so before i committed to bunch of stuff, was wondering about your guys opinion. Thanks, makes sense.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote