Find
Notify
Tools

Finally, an active reloading forum
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted
after searching for a bit I finally stubled across here.

all the other reloading forums I have found have the newest post about a month ago and seem to have a post a week. this one seems to acually have people on it regularly.

I am just getting started in reloading. my total purchase is lee's "modern reloading" (that I just finished reading) so I have a way to go yet. but you can be sure that you will be hearing from me soon [Big Grin]

any quick tips for someone reloading .45 auto for a sig 220?(my first and only firearm right now)

--Unstable Boy

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I quite agree that Accurate Reloading is a very active forum. All forums however have slow periods, where things seem to really slow down. You just have to be patient with it. A lot also depends on the particular topic, some generating more interest than others. I think you'll enjoy visiting here. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find this site very educating and the members more than helpful on any topic or question you have.
I sure have.

Enjoy and welcome
Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
welcome,if you have a question this is the place to get it answered,everyone here is very helpful.as far as reloading, if you read the book and understand what you read you are well on your way to many years of shooting,when I got started I told my wife it was to save money,well many years later I still tell her the same thing,she knows that I havent saved a dime in all these years but she has become the best shooting partner I ever had.good luck and welcome

[ 08-23-2003, 02:22: Message edited by: snowmaker ]

Posts: 262 | Location: pa | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I cant tell you how much world class info I have gleened from this site.

Most everyone is very helpful..sakofan..WELCOME!! [Cool]

Posts: 1379 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 11 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WELCOME UNSTABLE PERSON"
THERE ARE OTHER UNSTABLE PERSONS THAT FREQUENT THIS FORUM BUT YOU ARE THE FIRST TO ADMIT IT. [Big Grin]
I ALSO HAVE THE LEE'S "MODERN RELOADING" BOOK
AND IT IS A GOOD SOURCE FOR RELOADING DATA BUT
USE YOUR OWN GOOD COMMON SENSE WHEN DEVELOPING
LOADS. ANOTHER GREAT SOURCE AND READ IS THE MANY BULLET AND POWDER MANUFACTURER'S WEB SITES. FOR INSTANCE READ THE RCBS RELOADING GUIDE ON THEIR WEB SITE AND YOU WILL ANSWER MANY QUESTIONS FOR YOURSELF. GET THE BASICS DOWN AND YOU WILL MAKE
GOOD AMMUNITION AS WELL AS OR BETTER THAN THE
STORE BOUGHT STUFF. I'M JUST AN AMATEUR MYSELF BUT I REALLY ENJOY SHOOTING AND RELOADING. [Cool] BLR7 [Razz] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WECOME UNSTABLE YOU WILL FIND THIS A GREAT PLACE TO FIND ALL THE HELP YOU NEED. IN YOUR RELOADING ENDEVERS.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS UNSTABLE SHOOTERS TOO......

one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't been on "Accurate Reloading" very long. I have found the members to be knowledgable and accurate. I am very glad I found www.accuratereloading.com
MADISON

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Unstable:
after searching for a bit I finally stubled across here.

all the other reloading forums I have found have the newest post about a month ago and seem to have a post a week. this one seems to acually have people on it regularly.

I am just getting started in reloading. my total purchase is lee's "modern reloading" (that I just finished reading) so I have a way to go yet. but you can be sure that you will be hearing from me soon [Big Grin]

any quick tips for someone reloading .45 auto for a sig 220?(my first and only firearm right now)

--Unstable Boy

.....Welcome! and for only one gun you sure picked a winner!!!....the Sig feeds well and I would just trim the cases to the same length and use jacketed bullets or hard cast bullets with good lube and get a taper crimp die ....the loads and gun aren't picky about powder....I still have a keg of 452AA that I load for fun shooting in 45's and cast 225swc...it doesn't have a primer preference for fuction or accuracy.....I only use Sig brand magazines and have polished the feed ramp and checked the mag lips for burrs and it feeds perfectly....enjoy the process and good luck and good shooting-loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wecome aboard. This is a great place to get info and meet people. Get another reloading manual to read. The more info you have the better off you will be. Remember that when reloading to work up slowly. Use starter loads That why they are ther. It might be the most accurate reload. Works you reloads slowly and take good notes. Remember the part about taking good notes this is key. [Smile] To go with the good notes is good labeling of ammo if trying out some. If you have a problem you can search why. This is a great addiction hobby. Post any question and we will help [Big Grin]

Welcome

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind words.

I am thinking of picking up a LEE deluxe kit with the 3 hole turret press. and a set of lee dies to start with. then after working with that a bit maybe getting a diffrent press after I figure out what I want in it.

I think with that kit I can use it to get started then upgrade slowly as I get expirience as from what I have been hearing Lee brand is not "the best" but it works very well and is cheap.

as for acurracy I dont think I will be good enough to notice for a while. at 50 feet I can hit the target.. but thats about all I can say about it. still trying to get all the holes in the same spot [Smile] (the same half of the paper would even be good [Roll Eyes] )

I probably will be picking the kit up from a local store sometime early next month.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You are on the right track. I've been reloading over 30 years and I love the turret press (without auto advance). Especially handy for changing calibers. One thing, Lee dies work fine, but follow their instructions for setup; not the advise of some friend or another maker. They sometimes perform the same function as another with a different type of die. The only place where Lee truly lags behind is in powder scales. Theirs is accurate, but difficult to set up. Go slowly, take your time. Oh, and every time you buy another gun, buy another loading manual. As you glance through others you will see why. You can never have enough.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This forum is great for reloading. I thought I knew alot because I load a number of different calibers often. Sheez, I'm a friggin' babe in the woods I found out quickly. There are guys here that are "SERIOUS" about this stuff and really know what they are talking about. I learn gobs everyday here.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blackhawk44:
You are on the right track. I've been reloading over 30 years and I love the turret press (without auto advance). Especially handy for changing calibers.

Can a turret press with auto index have the auto index turned off? or does it involve replaceing parts.

the reloading kit in the local store has the auto indexing I'm not sure if I want the indexing or not. if it can be disabled simply then I will get it but if it involves a parts change I might just order a diffrent kit.

I got paid to day so I am going to do some number crunching to see if I can afford it this paycheck or if I have to wait [Cool]

one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
in the immortal words of bugs bunny.

"well I do-ed it"

did the finance calulations and came up posative so off to the gun shop I went.

picked up a Lee Deluxe reloading kit, Lyman turbo tumbler, calipers, lee carbide dies, cci primers, 1lb of bullseye powerder and box of hornady .45 230gr FMJ-FPs

looked in a few reload books and got a starting load to try.

tomorrow consists of cleaning off my desk and heading to home depot to get stuff to mount this thing.

hopefully next week I will have some rounds ready to go [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Be very careful using Bullseye. Use volume is low and a double charge can sneak by.

TBC

quote:
Originally posted by Unstable:
in the immortal words of bugs bunny.

"well I do-ed it"

did the finance calulations and came up posative so off to the gun shop I went.

picked up a Lee Deluxe reloading kit, Lyman turbo tumbler, calipers, lee carbide dies, cci primers, 1lb of bullseye powerder and box of hornady .45 230gr FMJ-FPs

looked in a few reload books and got a starting load to try.

tomorrow consists of cleaning off my desk and heading to home depot to get stuff to mount this thing.

hopefully next week I will have some rounds ready to go [Big Grin]

one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
dont worry, I will.

I plan on prepping and pimeing all the cases then charging and seating each round seperate.

this should help eliminate any questions about "which one did I leave off with?"

havent set up the press yet as my desk is still a mess [Roll Eyes] but soon I should be able to clear it off.

cant wait.