New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 7mm-08
 Login/Join

posted
Never been able to leave things alone.

Guess that is why I fix teeth for a living.

It always meant more to load my own when I used to trophy hunt.

This is just a time factor and the old graph died years ago.

Who would have thought that Salvage would have screwed up a plastic stock??? Probably just the fact that it is a left handed model.

All aside the Remington load is probably good for an 11 year old boy. I just need the velocity of a Remington 140 gr bullet shot from a 22 inch barrel to get a guess at the velocity for a graph for him though I am sure 2 inches high at a hundred will kill anything he can hit.

He had two shots last year with my old 270 in an old custom bedded stock that I cut down for him. I switched him to left handed to go with the left eye dominance. On the South Texas P and WL youth hunt he got his deer with a perfect shot at 135 and shot his hog in the head at 180 yards. Right handed he could not hit the hog at 18 yards.

He looked like he was standing on his head to get the left eye over to see with a right side mount.

Hope someone can help me with the velocity.

Thanks,

Jim

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I agree with savage99 I`d leave the loads alone and use as loaded by the factory. The Nosler BT, Partition, Sierra GK and others can be found and you`ll know pressures haven`t changed with the new bullet.
I`ve crono`ed a couple of factory rounds in two 20" barreled rifles and found a Remington 140 gr factory load with a Nosler BT gave 2634 fps @15*F from one and 2690 fps @ 80+* F in the other. The Fed Premium loaded with a TB140 in their Hi Energy loads gave ~2750 fps at 85*F.
I`ve a 24" Walther barreled M700 that I`ve never fired factory ammo in that runs ~75-80fps faster then the 20" with the same reloads if you need a guide relating to any change in bbl lenght. You`ll never know the true velocity though with out a crono but, any guess in the 2700 fps range should do for estimating ballistics out to 250 yds or so.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Rem bullets just do not do as good. FWIW. Hope shooting a hand made bullet for a 11 year old will get him the bug to reload. (Even if this is just a bullet change for now.)

Thanks for the info. I was guessing somewhere between 2600 and 2700 for the remmington since it is not their premium load.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
I chronographed Remington factory 140's with the PSP Core Lokts in my son's 20 inch Rem. 700 youth and got 2716 fps at 52 degrees.

Posts: 62 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 16 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I chronied the Rem140's through my Rem700 22" barrel and remember them to be approx 2800fps which would jive with the lower velocity reported for the 20" youth. Will add that the ammo was very accurate (less than MOA) in my rifle and did very well on a 200yrd antelope this year (lemon sized exit on a double lung shot glancing rib on entry and centering rib on exit).

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a winchester model 70 compact in 7mm-08. Twenty inch barrel. I bought a bunch of Federal 140 grain nosler partions when Total Sports went out of business in Austin Texas. I crono them at about 2650 fps. However the Remington green box 140 grain corelockt cronos at about 2750 out of the same rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only factory 7mm-08 ammo I've clocked was some 140gr Remington Express CoreLokt out of my son's Model 7 with an 18.5" barrel. They ran 2660fps in about 40 degree weather.
Accuracy was most unimpressive. Handloads do much better.

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote