THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    .308 Win using Lapua .308 win brass which primer

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 Win using Lapua .308 win brass which primer
 Login/Join

posted
I have purchased a new rifle and am waiting it's arrival.

I'm planning on using 165 gr. Nosler accubond in Laupua brass. I'm going to start with RL15 for powder.

I've never worked with Lapua brass before.

Anyone have experience with Lapua brass, if so which primers do you prefer?

Thanks,
Adams

One of Us
Picture of Rapidrob
posted Hide Post
Lapua brass is first rate. Long case life if loads kept at normal working pressures.
I only shoot long distance. Nothing closer than 200 yards,most 500 yards and farther.
I like Winchester Primers. Remington then CCI.
Reloader-15 is my long distance powder. For decades I used IMR-4895 but found I could squeak out better groups at 800 yards using RL-15.
My load is used in the M1A, FAL's,Converted M-1 Garands,Mausers and 2A1 Enfields. All love this powder with bullets 150-175 grain.
I do crimp.

Gulf of Tonkin Yacht Club
NRA Endowment Member
President NM MILSURPS

Posts: 448 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: 28 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If your going through the trouble of using expensive brass.
You might as well go the whole nine yards
Federal LR gold medal match Primers or if you can't find them Winchester
LR primers.
Powder, For a .308, Varget. For pure accuracy nothing else is in its league.

Now, if your not shooting 1000 yard competition, save yourself some money
and get some Hornady match brass.

With the twist rates companies are using, the greatest accuracy will be
with bullets in the 175-200 grain weight.

Specifically the 175-180 grain is the gold standard.
With the right rifle and bullet with varget your looking at 3 shots
in one hole at 100 yards type accuracy. That's no bull shit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Powder, For a .308, Varget. For pure accuracy nothing else is in its league.

VARGET is good, if you can get it to shoot. my question is, if Varget is so good why dont Lake City load it in there 168 match .308 rounds. from what i have read L/C uses RL-15. i use RL-15 in most of my .308 and 7MM-08 loads second choice is IMR4064

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OP

Are you asking weather to use the .308 Win Lapua brass with the large rifle primer or the Palma brass that has small rifle primer pockets?

If that is the question, don't complicate it. Go with the cases that have standard large rifle primer pockets.

Posts: 1243 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Not the Palma brass. I have .308 Win Lapua brass. I'm planning on using the large rifle primer.

So I was asking what some of you preferred using for a large rifle primer with the Lapua brass?

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
I shoot 40+ gr of RL 15, 168 TTSX bullets, CCI LR Benchrest primers, in Lapua brass. Very accurate load in my one .308 I shoot a lot. Tested that against many other powders including Varget. A close second...actually almost as good was AA-2230.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37821 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ghubert
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by adams:
Not the Palma brass. I have .308 Win Lapua brass. I'm planning on using the large rifle primer.

So I was asking what some of you preferred using for a large rifle primer with the Lapua brass?

CCI BR2 in my 308, for what it's worth.

I found a difference between normal and "match" primers in my 308 but she's a tack driver.

Either try a few loads tweaked with different primers or just buy the match stuff and try not to let it eat at you in the quiet moments in the stand... Big Grin

Posts: 11731 | Location: London, UK | Registered: 02 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
The Lapua brass is high quality,but I use a lot of commercial brass that works just as well. As to the CCI primers,I have had little difference in performance between the LR + LRBR.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote