New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder Volume
 Login/Join

<builder>
posted
Is there a place that has information on weight/volume of powders?

I will be reloading for a 270 Win. I need to choose a pwder that has a high weight to volume.

I've tried reloader 19 but the tables show a maximum charge of 64 gr. but the cases can only hold 59.8 filled to the top.

<Don Martin29>
posted
Try stevespages.com or www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/1221/index.htm

I would guess it would be a ball powder. Since I don't really prefer ball powder I would always start with a 4831 in a .270. That's been the standard for a long time.

My internal program says that 64 grs should go in but without getting a case out I know that much powder will not go into a 30/06 without a drop tube.

Just use 4831.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There's not all that much difference in the density of the slower rifle powders; and the charts I've seen are almost always in error, anyway. If you arbitrarily set 100 as the standard, most will fall between 97 and 103. Generally, the ball powders are just slightly denser than the tubulars.

There are two important "tricks" to getting the maximum amount of slow-burning powder into a case: (1) Trickle the powder slowly through a 12" or longer drop tube, and (2) use once-fired and minimally resized cases. You'd be surprised how much more powder a fired case will often hold than a new, unfired one.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote