Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Remington Ultra Mag Advice
 Login/Join

posted
Hello Folks: Personally I'm not a magnum man getting by with with available calibers or Ackley Improved cartridges. However, my 30 year old son loves the new short magnums and the Ultra Magnums. As a hobby I do all the handloading for the family and enjoy it greatly. Since I'm far from claiming expert status in this hobby I gladly consider others suggestions on handloads I'm unfamiliar with.
My son bought a Remington 300 Ultra Magmum rifle this year and loves the rifle. Though he used Mfg. premium ammunition for hunting this season I am gathering information to begin reloading his ammo. I have five reloading books and though fairly new none of them list this caliber. I'm going to buy a couple "current" reloading books for reference but would enjoy hearing from others who have experience with this cartridge. My son prefers to use 180 grain bullets for elk with this rifle and no decision has been made as to what brand of bullet to use.
I use the Nosler Partition a great deal myself but I am open to other ideas that work!!! I know many people hesitate to suggest exact loads for fear of unexpected problems but I would like to hear what type of powder and bullets have worked for you in this caliber.
We have plenty of time to experiment with loads and any information on this subject would thrill me a great deal. I am interested in what has worked successfuly for others so that I might use that information to usher me along finding a good load for my son. To everyone reading this post I wish you a fine day. Regards, Jim

Posts: 24 | Location: Medford, Or. | Registered: 10 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My gun likes the 180gr Nosler BT or 180gr Swift Scirrico and 95gr of Relaoder 25, for 3320fps. Both shoot moa out to 300yds. IMR7828 is another good one to try.

Posts: 711 | Location: Michigan , USA | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Hardley06,

Welcome to the forum.

You might like to have a look at our Reloading section of this website. We have some data for this one.

Posts: 68685 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Guy>
posted
Hardley - my son took his first elk yesterday with his 300 Ultra mag. The load we used is as follows;

Win Mod 70 Super Grade 26" barrel
200 Nosler Partition
Remington cases
94.0 grains Reloader 25
Fed 215 primers
OAL 3.590"
3130 fps and 1" groups @100 yds.

This is a max load in his rifle so start 10% lower and work up.

<FarRight>
posted
I beleive the Nosler #5, the Barnes #3, as well as the new Siwft manual all list data for the Ultra Mags as well as most of the short mags. I am not sure but the new Hornady and the Speer 13 might--it has been a while since I looked in those and simply can't remember.

Try here:
http://www.nosler.com/bulletpage.asp?g=2046