Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet seat depth Minnimum
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted
I was loading some 40gr Sierras in my 220 swift and when seated off the lands the bullet doesn't seat much into the neck. How much do I need to prevent problems. Maybe this is normal but I'm used to larger bullets where this is not a factor.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I've been told a rule of thumb is the bulletss dia. is also the minimum deapth. In your case it would be .224. That is why with light buletts it's hard to get to the lands.

Posts: 132 | Location: western New York | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
<cobra>
posted
I run 40gr Nosler BT's through one of my Swifts and only have it seated in .185, but I do use a Lee factory crimp. The crimp seems to allow for a more consitant jump to the lands, the price you pay for a small bullet. It works in mine and agree with the bullet diameter/seating depth standard BossMoss mentioned.

one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
I'm not going to worry about it now. I had my Swift to the range this morning to test the load and fired a group with all but one hole touching. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] I don't think I'll mess with it.

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote