New
Find
Notify
Tools

SHOTGUN SLUG TRAJECTORY??
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Being restriced for space I need to know where a 1oz. slug going 1,600 fps, zero'd @ 100 yards prints @ 150 and 200 yards. Could'nt find any reference material that covered it. Thanks, Smoker1

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 868 | Location: NYS | Registered: 25 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
consider this a slug is a "run-away brick.."
@100 you will have about 8 to 10" of drop.
@1200 f/s MV. the slug drops out of supersonic speed
From that point on the accuracy will deteriorate drastically.
It just runs out of juice.
I would guess about 3' @ 150yds and & 7-8' at 200yds.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks hivelosity. Your guess is as good as mine. I did a check with Sierra Infinity using a 450 grain bullet that I dialed in @ 1,600 fps. I'm thinking that the difference between 437 grains which equals an ounce ( I think ), and 450 going the same rate of speed should have been close. It say's that if I'm zero'd @ 100 @ 200 I should be ~ -15.0"??????

The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.
--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know why you're so surprised. Consider the 45-70 with a 500 grain bullet that starts out at 1400 fps. The drop at 200 is only about 20 inches with a 100 yard zero. Not exactly a runaway brick. I ran the rifled slug through the JBM ballistic program and it showed a 200 yard drop of 20 inches, assuming a BC of .150.

Accuracy may not be all that great but dropping down below supersonic does not necessarily mean the slug will start tumbling. Otherwise we'd never be able to shoot at the extreme distances where ALL bullets are sub-sonic.

By the way Smoker, 150 yard drop would be about 7 inches. Shoot a few at a target and you can find out exactly.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
http://www.federalcartridge.com/default.asp?pg=27 The federal site gives some info to 125 yards. Look under ammunition catalog, then pick a type of slug or sabot. Then click "ballistics for the ammo u want. Check out the winddrift too. This link will get you in the general area to search

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Using the velocity figures furnished by the Winchester site, their (X12RS15) 1oz. slug (Foster type) starting out at 1,600 fps and sited in to point-of-aim at 100 yds. will hit 11.8" low at 150 yds. and 35.2" low at 200 yds.

So roughly a foot low at 150 yds. and a yard low at 200 yds. Eeker

I figured the BC C1 at .060 and this matched the factory supplied velocities EXACTLY.

Because of their low BC, slugs shed energy and velocity FAST! That's why many states that are densely populatated often stipulate the use of slugs only for game like deer.

Personally I site-in my smooth bores at 75 yds. when using slugs.

Posts: 49226 | Registered: 21 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DaMan, tried like hell to find that site...good work! I'll let you know how I hit the turkey
@200 when I shoot in the morning. Smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
shot some slugs today at a friends. 4" bullseye target
Remington fosters were 1492f/s out of a 20" smooth bore.
winchesters (marked on the box) 1600f/s were at
1461 f/s.
@ 50 yards the remington&winchester slugs were about 3" higher on the target.(top of the bull)
@ 75 yrds the remington slugs were 2" higher
(above the bull)
and the winchester were 5" lower..(center bottm of bull)
@ 100yrds the remington was in the botton of a 4" bull and the winchesters were in the dirt.
About 30" from the groung to the center of the target.
There was a noticable diffrence in the ammount of recoil between the remingtons and the winchesters..
If you hold the gun at about a 45* angle to the target, you might lob one of these bricks into the target at 200 yrds.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hivelosity, I'm shooting the Winchesters of course and also tried a few Remington Foster type. Really appreciate the Chrono data. When I finished with the 100 yard target I tried one of the Remington's. It printed at the exact same height but ~ 5" right and seemed to have a greater amount of recoil. I'm working on a 200 yard range. Guess I'd better get it done! Smoker1

--Thomas Jefferson