Find
Notify
Tools

I've seen it all now!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted
I was at the range today & a fella was complaining about the price of ammo for his 300 Weatherby & at the same time bragging that last year he had figured out a way to get around having to use their "expensive" ammo. He has been using 300 winchester ammo in his 300 Wby.!
 -
He says that "I can get a 4" group & thats fine with me so long as I save money on ammo & this guns so powerful it doesn't need to be a tack driver". [Roll Eyes] I was politely & tactefully advising him of the potential pitfals of this & he says he not interested in "all that techinical stuff" All i can say is: WHAT A DUMB ASS!

[ 11-23-2002, 05:17: Message edited by: Bear Claw ]

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Just think, he probably drives a car too!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<waldog>
posted
Who'd a thought... a 300 Weatherchester!!! [Big Grin]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have chronographed 300 Winchester factory 180 graiin Power Points at around 2920 f/s.

Fired from a 300 Wby chamber I imagine that same ammo would be lucky to do 2600 f/s. So it looks like that bloke has an inaccurate 308 with ammo at 300 Win prices.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know of a guy who shoots .308's in his '06 Garand without that adapter sleeve I've seen advertised. Fired cases look like rimless 45-70's.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Eric>
posted
Don't fret gentleman!

These guys are all candidates for "Darwin Awards" (which I hope they win!). I only hope that no innocent person is around when they submit their entry's.

Regards,

Eric

[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

one of us
posted Hide Post
A "good" hunting buddy of mine shot a 30-30 in his 30-40 krag.... DAMNIT!! JUST WHEN YOU THINK YOU KNOW SOMEONE. No ill effects to us just some a loud hollow bang in the action with smoke emitting. Rifle was undammaged.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That'll work,the neck on a 300 win mag case is to long anyway.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
Funny!my 300 Win Mag,cases don't have long necks.Am I missing something?
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
He'd be OK if he were using .300 H&H. He might even be able to reload those fireformed Win mag cases and get pretty decent accuracy.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this why the factories went for the belted case.

The above example could be real interesting with a 300 Remington Short Ultra in the 300 WSM or the 300 WSM in the 300 Ultra.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I think the "factories went for the belted cases" due to the fact that they look cool to the uninformed and wildcatters were lazy in selecting large cases to fireform. The guys who knew what they were doing like Donaldson and Newton headspaced on the shoulder because in the long or short run this is the best way for a host of reasons.

A shooter can loose their eye or more if a case splits on the side.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
WOW,,,
Now that is the maximum case capacity for a (classic) short mag...

I've seen 308 in a 30-06 look the same.. and the same circumstance.. a ranger-rodent trying to be cheap
jeffe

Posts: 39622 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Reloading 101 - Creativity and guns do not mix.

What I would love to see is the condition of the loaded cartridges in the magazine after the first shot. Nothing like a good compressed load to really make things interesting. So what if a few bullets fall out and powder goes into the action - he�s still saving a lot of money.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Sorry for any misunderstanding. He is not a reloader but just always uses the 300 Win mag factroy ammo in his Weatherby. I didn't know where else to post this so the most folks would see it.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I always get amazed how greedy and dumb people are. I saw a very nice win pre 64(pre war) in 3006 got blown up few years ago. The greedy bastard owner used 308 win. I'm not sure what got wrong. Shame it happend with such a rifle [Mad]

Why play this dagerous game for a few shitty $, when you can loose your life. No more fun or hunting just because of greed [Eek!]

The last idiot isn't born yet [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
/ JOHAN

One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
BC - Oh, you mean shooting .300 Winchester in his .300 Weatherby. That's simply brilliant.

Next time you see this chap you should tell him that 7mm ammo is even cheaper than .300 Win, plus he gets the added benefit of less bore wear.

I don�t want to register guns, only the users of guns. A simple IQ test will suffice.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's just a little fireforming,now he's shooting a 300win mag improved.

Posts: 837 | Location: wyoming | Registered: 19 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been in "gun-shops" on several instances where the clerk has been trying to push a used weatherby on someone and said...."don't worry about the price of Weatherby ammo, you can use 300 WinMag if you want".....the first couple of times I said something about safety and once the clerk said I didn't know anything about rifles and the other time I was called a wimp because even though the fit wasn't right, the Weatherby actions could take it. I don't wait around for abuse anymore and find somewhere else to shop.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Walked into a gun shop out side if Chicago back around 1988. He had a coffe can on the counter with 20 cases just like that. Another time in Wisconsin a follow was a 240 Weatherby and was going to let his friend shoot it . that was ok until he pulled out the box of 243 Winchesters to load it with. When it was pointed out that it was dangerous he replied that it was like 38 specials in a 357 mag. It was not until the benches on both sides ran for cover he realised that we were serious.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Safari-Pete>
posted
All i have to say is if your that cheap to buy the RIGHT CASE for the GUN you are shooting You are a accident waiting to happen ,,,,So just send me your gun and i will glady kick in you the balls and make you feel bad. but that is alot better than having a rifle blow off your face

<Bill T>
posted
Tell the idiot that if he really wants to save money, he should shoot .22 LR in it. Just tell him to find a suitable size washer to "center it". [Big Grin] Bill T.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Those range bosses at the local public ranges are some brave fellows to deal with this sort of idiocy on a daily basis. [Eek!] Just another reason for me to stay away and do my shooting out in the country.

Posts: 10164 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, shooting .300 Winchesters in a .300 Weatherby chamber, while not useful or justifiable, is also not dangerous. A number of the other combinations cited in this post are dangerous. And as pointed out by one poster, the standard way of obtaining .300 Weatherby brass back when Weatherby ammunition was new, rare, and expensive, was to simply fire .300 H & H in it. That's the way Roy Weatherby made his.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote