Tools

accurate reloading powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of puntgunner
posted
quote:
Originally posted by puntgunner:
has anyone had any experience with this brand powder.
I intend to try it in 30-06 , with 168 grain Barnes TS .

I understand a lot of their powders are double bases ball. I prefer VV powders, but have been told of a good apply of this brand is available at competitive prices.

Need to know if it's worth the effort.

Posts: 181 | Location: Home counties, England | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their #5 has given me good results in the 357, but I can't attest to their rifle powders.

One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
http://www.accuratepowder.com/
Accurate has many excellent powders to choose from. Reloading data is available through the link above. If you can get a hold of one of the DATA powders that will be suitable for you're needs, they are a great value.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
XMR 4064 works well in my 308.

Back to the still.

Spelling, I don't need no stinkin spelling

The older I get, the better I was.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I've got years of experience with AA3100. Love it. Some of my best loads in 270 and 300 WM with that powder.

I think Accurate powders are very under-rated.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have been using 3100 for as long as I can remember, and that is a long time. I remember when you could buy 8 1 pound jugs of the stuff for $5 a pound.

I really like in in my .300 Winnie and .338 Winnie, but I never load anything even close to maximum.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Taken as a whole product line, I find "Accurate" brand powders are as good as any other. Their 2495, for instance is an excellent substitute for either H or IMR 4895. Burns a bit dirtier in some loads, but works just fine for both accuracy and velocity.

Because they shop the whole world a lot for surplus powders, particularly in the eastern European countries, they often come up with powders which are really excellent for special purposes...for instance AA-2200 is the best powder I've ever used in the .221 Fireball for a combo of accuracy and ease of measuring.

Usually, those surplus powders are not on the market for years and years, so if one finds one which works outstandingly well in a particular cartridge he has, it never hurts to buy 32 or more pounds of it in 8 lb. kegs. Otherwise two or three years down the road he may not be able to get it again at all, as is now the case with the above-mentioned AA-2200.

Accurate 2230 is also excellent for both the .223 and the .308, and has set a number of benchrest records in the .30-BR, but it comes in a variety of burning speeds...there's plain old AA-2230, AA2230-S, and 2230-C. Usually the ones with a "letter" hyphenated into the name are up to 5% different in burning rate/recommended powder charges, but that is no big deal to an experienced handloader who truly does work up his loads.

Like any other product line, one DOES have to work up his loads to get best performance, not just expect to find hundreds of loads perfect for his gun posted on billboards everywhere he looks, but its worth the effort..

I consider them some of the best bargains in powder available, in a performance/price aspect.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of puntgunner
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info.

it's a new one on me in the UK.

I may give it ago.

Posts: 181 | Location: Home counties, England | Registered: 15 June 2005Reply With Quote