THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting set up to reload, suggestions needed!
 Login/Join

<Embalmer>
posted
I am starting the process of getting myself set up to reload. I was going to go with the Rockshucker reloading kit from RCBS just so I have everything I would need to reload all in one shot. But the more I think about it, I know I would be replacing most of the parts with better ones once I got to know what it was that I wanted from the set up.
I was going to either get the RC kit or the Forester Co-ax since the Co-ax is supposed to be the best there is, and I want to load the best 308 loads possable, I think I will be going with the Co-Ax to start with. Instead of buying in the middle of the pack and working my way up. I might as well start at the top and do it right and the best I can the first time.

So I know I will be getting the Co-Ax press. That is for sure. But after that, I dont know enough about the rest to know exactly what I want. I do want the best out there or at least the best I can afford or am willing to pay for at this point.

So for the rest of the main parts what would you all recommend?
Case trimmer I was thinking forester, unless there is one that is considered beeter or the best. Basically I want to know what is considered the industries leader for each of the main parts I would need for the reloading set up.

Powder trickler? Brand
powder measure?
Scale-I want a electric one but which brand is the best for works the best? I have heard about problems with the stick powder and these parts. Is there one that works better with the stick powder?
Dies? I was thinking forester comp dies, plus I was planning on using the neck sizing instead of a full length sizing die.

Basically I would like everyones recommendations on the best set up to have. If you were starting fresh knowing what you know how, what would you buy?

I want to do it right the first time and only once. instead of buying something that I know I will be replacing with something better down the road.

Also what componants would you start with besides the SMK 168s. I have seen alot of the IMR 4068 I think it is. And I was planning on starting with 200 or more Lupua Brass. This will all be for 308 and for precision. Later on down the line I will probably buy a Dillon to load pistol and 223. But that is way down the line.

What are the best electric scale, powder thrower and other misc items that I will need to buy along with the Co-Ax?

one of us
Picture of gsp
posted Hide Post
Here's what I use,
Forster co-ax
Pact pro digital
Bonanza powder Disp.
Bonanza beam scale
Lyman universal case trimmer for drill press
Wilson deburr with drill press attachment
Forster and Redding dies

I use the press for priming right now,until I decide wich priming tool I'm going to get.

posted Hide Post
I went with the RockChucker kit and have no regrets, would do it again. I don't think I "upgraded" anything, but I did add a few things. I still use the scale and lube pad, in fact the only thing I don't use is the loading block and the press primer attachment. The current kit provides a hand primer, so press priming is out anyway.

It's nice to get all the stuff you'll need in one package. I'm not sure that the Co-Ax is really that much different or better.

You can see my entire set-up at:

Reloading Info

Steve

Posts: 9 | Location: Cent PA | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Before you buy any equipment get a couple of manuals from differant companies. I like the new Nosler and Speer books but they all have good info. The tools you`ll need are covered in the books and I think you`ll find you don`t always need the very best to load good - read match- ammo although it doesn`t hurt.

Again a good manual is the best tool you can have!

Personally I use a Co-Ax, Lyman Orange Chrusher, and RCBS JR depending on how I feel and what die is in which press at the moment.
Pact digital or RCBS 10 / 10 scale (The RCBS gets the most use.)
RCBS,Redding, and Foster dies. Depending on cartridge.
Case holders are the same make as dies
Lyman #55 powder measure
Lee hand primeing tool
Stoney Point OAL & headspace guages and comparitors
RCBS case trimer
RCBS deburring tool
RCBS primer pocket brush
RCBS Flash hole deburrer
Midway caliper
Sinclair primer pocket uniformer
Lee powder dippers (for small lots of test loads)
RCBS cartridge blocks

I don`t know if these are the "best" but I`ve been happy with the results from them and blame any hic - ups on me before I try to blame the tooling.

Enjoy your new hobby, you`re going to have a flat wallet if your like the rest of us after you start [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may as well set up for bullet casting, too....

Step into my web, said the spider to the fly...

Posts: 922 | Location: Somers, Montana | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It all really depends on what your emphasis is. I use a Redding Big Boss press but if you are a high volume match shooter you might want to look at a progressive. I use Redding FL dies and some Lee and Lyman and most work fine for my interest, which is hunting loads.

I use an RCBS 10-10 scale, which is excellent -- stayed away from electronics because I've seen them be too sensitive to breezes from the air conditioner, etc.

The Forster trimmer is wonderful.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RCBS Rockchucker press (with Piggyback 2 for progressive pistol reloading), RCBS electronic scale, Redding case trimmer (the only one worth a hoot, in my opinion; check it out), Lee carbide dies for pistol reloading, mostly RCBS for rifle reloading. Hornady hand-held priming tool (I don't feel comfortable with ANY tube fed priming unit).

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you're about to start reloading [for one cartridge], do you need to buy the most expensive equipment available? How do you know whether or not you'll even like reloading? As for equipment, RCBS, Lyman, Redding & Hornady presses and case trimmers are excellent, as is the Forster trimmer. The Redding "Boss" press, for ex., is probably the most under-appreciated (and often bargain priced) of them all. Also, RCBS equipment, which includes beam balance and electronic scales, is backed by a strong guarantee. As for dies, Hornady New Dimension, Redding and, Lee Collet dies (neck sizing only; must use brass fired in your own rifle) are second to none. Powder measures: I have four, but all work well with some powders, but are a bit less accurate with extruded or "stick" (The bigger the kernel, the more effort you'll expend.) and flake powders (e.g., Alliant 2400). Any powder trickler (manually operated) and priming tool will do (I use a Lee). Don't forget to search out these items on E-Bay or Auction Arms>Reloading Gear. Since you're just starting out, get yourself a few reloading manuals (Lyman, Hodgdon, etc.) and study them before you purchase any equipment. Finally, since you're just starting out, would it be heretical to suggest purchasing a Lee Loader, along with a Lee hand priming tool and case trimmer? For less than $50 you can get your feet wet, and if you find you don't like reloading, you aren't out of pocket by very much. If you do like it, these items will serve you well until you decide which other items you want/need. Btw, you can reload at the range with the Lee Loader; and some of the most accurate ammo. I've ever fired was loaded at the range with a used .243Win. Lee Loader. Hope this helps, ...Maven

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Embalmer:
I am starting the process of getting myself set up to reload. I was going to go with the Rockshucker reloading kit from RCBS just so I have everything I would need to reload all in one shot. But the more I think about it, I know I would be replacing most of the parts with better ones once I got to know what it was that I wanted from the set up.
(sic)

What are the best electric scale, powder thrower and other misc items that I will need to buy along with the Co-Ax?

The co-ax is a great choice, I think anyone who can afford one starting out is well to go that route. If $ is an issue, start with the lee challenger. You'll find the co-ax is also handy for making handgun ammo, not as fast as a progressive, but not that all slow either.

As far as what else to get, I'd go with the Redding 3br powder measure, and a redding beam scale. The electronic scales have a flaky reputation, and a flaky scale is something you don't want!

I'd go with the forester comp dies, but would start with an fl die. You can add a bushing neck die later.

For case trimming, the Lee set up is easy and foolproof. Get a VLD reamer for chamfering necks after trimming them. I like the RCBS hand primer, the one with the tray, not the strip style.

Get a 4" Mitutoyo, Starret, B&S or whatever tickles your fancy dial caliper, it is much more comfortable to use then a 6" for handloading. Also a 1" .0001" reading micrometer.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
For stuff to absolutely drool over,check out Sinclair International.However,you'll run outta rifle long before the quality of ammo you can make on any decent press will hold you back.These guys got it right,dont go overboard on gear.Now components on the other hand,thats not a bad place to spend your dough buying the best......

one of us
posted Hide Post
What are you guys saying?!
Look, all you gotta do is mention to your dad as to how you're really beginning to see how much money can be saved by reloading and does he think it would be a good idea, and then let him unload on you a single-stage and turret press, scale, trickler, case trimmer, dies for '06, ACP, 308 and 45-70, primer pocket cleaner, ammo tray, and a mess of brass,
And start reloading!
It's easy.

[ 04-02-2003, 05:11: Message edited by: Bwana-be ]

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If hindsight were 20-20 I'd start with a Dillon AT500. You load single stage now but have the ability to convert to the progressive RL550B when the need arises to load more, faster. Dillon dies are superb. All that and their famous no BS warranty. Mike Dillon puts out a nice mag\catalog every month, too.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
I have the sinclair and Dillon catalogs. The Dillon comes all the time. Money is not a problem, I just want to do it right the first time. Usually when I do something I go all out. When I started shooting I went out and bought the low end on things and always traded up or bought what I really wanted in the end anyway. I've skimped in the past and alway regretted it. I want to do things right with this. So I just want to start near the top as I learn what I'm doing with this. My main concern is consistant accurate ammo. So whatever I need to achive that is what I want. I dont care what brand it is or who makes it, just as long as it will give afford me the best ammo that "I" can make for myself.

I have heard of alot of people that are happy with the Lee hand primer so I was thinking of getting that one to start. But my main concern here is the powder measure and scale. I dont want problems with inaccuracy in the powder throwing. Or any deviations in the charges. I do plan to weigh every 5-10 ayway, but if there is a set up that works better then others do, that is the one I would like to be using.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Embalmer: You are correct in wanting to start out with good tools. RCBS used to advertise "Might as well start out with the stuff you're going to end up with". As for hand held priming tools, I have tried the Lee, RCBS and Hornady. The Lee and RCBS did not work as well as hoped for (the Lee kept breaking parts and the RCBS jammed all the time) thus I recommend the Hornady. Any powder measure will work much more smoothly and accurately with ball type powders; I don't even bother with extruded powders anymore (and I only use flake type powders when shotshell reloading). I personally would never go back to a beam style scale after having used my RCBS electronic scale; so much faster and less fuss.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Embalmer,

If you want to, "make the best .308 loads possible", and "all be for .308 and for precision", then you want to buy Sinclair's reloading handbook and read it twice.

Then buy a full package set of .308 hand dies and arbor press from Sinclair.

Best bet is to call them and order the handbook and then tell them to set you up with a complete Wilson die package and trimmer with a Sinclair neck turning tool.
You will want Starrett calipers and neck micrometer. An RCBS Casemaster tool is wonderful for checking all sorts of things like runout, doughnut wall thickness ect.
The RCBS 10-10 has a max of 1000 grains? That'll be perfect since you'll be weighing cases and bullets, you can get away with a 505 scale too. I have for 12 years!

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
Thanks for the tips guys. I was looking into the Wilson hand die route with the arbor press. But I decided to go with a standard press to start with untill I learn what I'm doing along with having the standard press to do other things as well. Although I do like the idea of having the arbor to take to the range to load there since my nearest range is about 20-30 mins away.
BUt I think I need to stick with a standard for now. I might end up with an arbor to suplemnt this one once I get started if I get into load development alot, which I probably will. But for now I will be going the Co-ax.

one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
DESCRIBE THE GUN (OR GUNS) YOU WILL BE USING. THIS WILL ASSIST US IN MAKING RECOMMENDATIONS. FIRST CLASS AMMO IN A SECOND CLASS GUN WILL ONLY YIELD SECOND CLASS RESULTS!

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
Sorry, I shoulda done that in the first place.
She is a Remington 700VS left handed 308. Topped with a 6.5-20x50mm LR M1 Leupold, sitting on a Badger 20moa base and Badger standard hieght rings.
I will be shooting out to 1000 yards eventually. That is my goal with this rifle and load. But only out to 700 so far. With Fed GMM she is shooting about 3/4 inch groups at 100 and just under one inch at 200 if I do my part. So if I can load ammo that will at least equal that performance I will be more then happy. She was even shooting one inch groups with the cheap UMC yellow boxed non match 308.

Anyone know if RCBS or anyone else sells a set up that would include everything you need to start loading in one kit except the press? I would love to get the RCBS Master reloaders kit but switch out the press for the Co-Ax.

<Embalmer>
posted
Forgot to mention. This is the only rifle I will be loading for for right now. My main goal is accuracy in this 308. So any tips that are geared towards loading for only one bolt rifle would be greatly appreciated as well. Then after I learn the art of reloading I will probably start to load 223 for quantity and maybe some hnadgun loads to. (Probably go Dillon with that stuff) But that will be down the road. Way down the road. My only concern right now is the 308 and accuracy as this is at least 95% of my shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a chronograph as soon as possible. It really helps in load development and you need to know your velocity to figure out trajectory info for longe range shooting.

Try Varget powder. It's excellent for the .308

Elmo

Posts: 586 | Location: paloma,ca | Registered: 20 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
FOLLOW MR. ROTHSCHILDS ADVICE.

OH, AND LET US KNOW HOW "SHE" DOES.

[ 04-05-2003, 01:28: Message edited by: sonofagun ]

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote