Find
Notify
Tools

Best powder for .45ACP
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of allensee
posted
I am looking for everyones opinion on best powder, bullet, and primer for .45 ACP and 9mm. I know i'll get some good stuff on this one.

Posts: 78 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like Win 231 and standard win large pistol primers. Works for me.

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2758 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 458Lottfan
posted Hide Post
I have had great luck with VV N320. Very accurate, burns clean with low smoke. Important factors when shooting steel matches at night under lights. Keeps the gun very clean for heavy shooting days.

Posts: 583 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 08 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
W-231 works well on everything from 185 to 230 grainers.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The original powder used in the M1911 was Bullseye. It is still an excellent choice. I have been using 230 LRN 4.5 grs Bullseye, any case any standard primer.

I am using Bullseye in the 9mm, but I am loading lighter than factory.

W231 has been an excellent powder in the 45 ACP.

Unique is very flexible. It will work well in a wide variety of pistol cartridges, lots of people use it in the 45 ACP.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
VihtaVuori N-320 and N-340 also are best ones. I use N-320 because don´t like so much to clean guns.

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I try to get as much power as I can from poor case support, so I use Power Pistol.

In semi autos with good case support, the 45 can make more recoil than the springs can take with virtually any pistol powder, so it doesn't matter.

In a rifle, I use Power Pistol, AA#5, or Longshot to shoot groups at 100 yards with 460 Rowland level loads in 45acp brass.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've found Universal to be extremely accurate.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Unique or bullseye.
I loaded some 230gr JHP over 6.0gr of bullseye for some very hot +P loads worked great

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
everything between bullseye and unique will work fine.
231 and titegroup are in there and will be good ones to try.

Posts: 4988 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Clays for gun games and general plinking

Power Pistol for business.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of allensee
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at Titegruop and H38. Any comments on these?

Posts: 78 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 14 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Juggernaut76
posted Hide Post
HS-6 and Hornady 230 gr FMJ/FP's do the trick in my Kimber 1911.

Praise be to the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Posts: 427 | Location: Clarkston, MI | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
There are too many good powders for this cartridge. I`ve used Titegroup, PowerPistol, VV-n320, VV-n340 and never had anything to complain about with any of them. The VV powders are a little cleaner, the PowerPistol gave excellent velocities, Titegroup was cheap and gave very accurate loads, and all meter very well for my measure.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Red Dot and CCI Lg Pistol. Good results with 200gr Gold Dot.

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I lean toward Red Dot and 700x in the .45 ACP.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SlamFire:
The original powder used in the M1911 was Bullseye. It is still an excellent choice. I have been using 230 LRN 4.5 grs Bullseye, any case any standard primer.
I am using Bullseye in the 9mm, but I am loading lighter than factory.
W231 has been an excellent powder in the 45 ACP.
Unique is very flexible. It will work well in a wide variety of pistol cartridges, lots of people use it in the 45 ACP.

I tend to agree with you. I was looking for some Bullseye to load in my 38sp wad cutter gun (S&W mod 52) and ran across a 15 lb canister at the local gun show for $100.00. Bet you can guess what I will be using for a while. jumping beer
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote