Notify
Tools

.257 cal Varmint Bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted
Hey Guys,

I have recently started reloading and am wanting to work up some varmint loads for a 25-06. What 75-87 grain bullets are you having the best accuracy with?

Specs:
24" bbl with 1:10 twist
H4350
Rem brass and primers

Thanks,
Boom

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long.....

Posts: 82 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The best two have been Nosler 85 BTips and Speer 87 TNTs. Accurate and explosive.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
85gr Nosler BTips should be like hand grenades on varmints.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot some 87gr serrias out of my NO.1 25-06 .750 groups wacks pdogs quite well blows big holes in yotes not fur freindly.

Posts: 19453 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 75-85 grain V-max in all the 25 calibers that I have.
Like what was said them things are hard on hides.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience is somewhat limited and I don't have a .25-06. My .25 cal. is a re-barreled, Ruger with a Kreiger barrel in .257 IMP.
It's been some years since I played with it but it was scary accurate - about 3/8" - with a 75 gr. V-max. Tried an 85 gr. Balistic tip & just couldn't get the accuracy I hoped for. Again, it's been some time since I've played with this rifle.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I run 85gr Nolser Btip seconds in my 25-06.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a friend's .25-06 we had only marginal accuracy with Nosler 85 B. Tips (unusual), but razor's edge accuracy with 75 grain Sierra Hollow Points. Probably just an abberation realated to the particular gun/powder combination, but his previous long range varmint gun, a .25-284, also did best with the 75 grain Sierras.

The 75's don't have quite the B.C. of the heavier poly-tipped bullets, but since they can be pushed some bit faster they have about the same practical range for vamint shooting.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BoomRM
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, guys. I'm going to give those 85 gr Nosler B-Tips a whirl.

My .25-06 shoots 1/4" all day long.....

Posts: 82 | Location: Utah | Registered: 29 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JC375
posted Hide Post
The first rifle I reloaded for was a Rem. Mod. 700 Classic in 25-06. Got great accuracy from 75 grain Hornady's.

Posts: 102 | Location: Florida | Registered: 04 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I, too, have had good luck with the Nosler Ballistic Tip 85 grain.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Abob
posted Hide Post
I've had good luck with 90 gr Barnes Banded Solid in my 257 AI

Jim

fur, feathers, & meat in the freezersalute
"Pass it on to your kids"

Posts: 822 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 22 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
For my 25-06, the 100 grain Nosler Bal Tip gave me the best accuracy, and were mighty deadly on groundhogs. I chronied the load at between 3250-3300 fps.

Then I tried the Hornady 75 gr V-Max. They didn't group quite as tight, but they were good enough for groundhogs out to 360 yds, and fast at approx 3650 fps.

They seem to be the only bullets my gun likes, but I haven't tried all the different offerings and powders out there... sometimes ya just gotta get close enough and then hunt!

Well, they really aren't debates... more like horse and pony shows... without the pony... just the whores.

1955, Top tax rate, 92%... unemployment, 4%.

"Beware of the Free Market. There are only two ways you can make that work. Either you bring the world's standard of living up to match ours, or lower ours to meet their's. You know which way it will go."
by My Great Grandfather, 1960

Protection for Monsanto is Persecution of Farmers.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady 87 grain SP

NRA Life Member
HHI Member
SCI Member

"get busy living... or get busy dying"

Posts: 103 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 28 November 2006Reply With Quote