Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Body Dies!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted
Doing some testing on RL 17 in a 22.250, I am using new Winchester brass in my fast twist barrel..

the gunsmith originally made this with a tight neck and tight chamber...

I had some resistance on chambering new brass but it went in with a little snugness to it..

after shooting 5 test shots, two of the cases wouldn't rechamber..

I necked sized the brass and still they would not all chamber..

So I used the Redding body die on the two that would not chamber and they then chambered with no resistance whatsoever..

So I body sized the other 3 and they went in the chamber quite easily...

Now I tried band new brass and they chambered with some snugness...

after running several of the new ones thru the body die, they chambered with no resistance at all..

so new brass isn't necessarily down to minimum SAAMI dimensions...or else this rifle has a real tight chamber..

but that Redding Body die squared away that in short order...

these are some pretty slick little additions to the reload bench...

don't know how I lived without them all these years...

need to get some more in the other calibers I reload for...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have them in 243AI, 257AI and 223AI. I just contacted redding for a 6TCU body die they said that they nolonger made body dies but they stil had some in stock, so I ordered one direct. Obviously not enough people used them. I have both the Redding neck sizer and body dies for the above ctgs. I use a Vickerman seater die.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An even slicker tool is the Forster bodybump/neck bushing die thast does it all in only one die and one operation-and one purchase-every time......

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had one of those forster bump dies on back order for my 308 for about 6 months. Maybe I picked the wrong retailer but I called forster and apparently this die has been really popular and there is a significat wait. I agree that it should be the perfect accuracy die.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote