New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garand Reload Length?
 Login/Join

<zanthope>
posted
I've just started reloading for a Garand, using some M2 pulldowns from Wideners and H335, for now.

The 25 I loaded last night seem a little long for the rifle at 3.30 - 3.35. Danish milsurp is 3.270, and 1958 FN is 3.325.

I haven't shot any yet...too much rainy typhoon stuff in S Ohio the last couple of days.

I loaded a clip into the rifle and they seem to want to catch by the bolt lock area. I'm anticipating some problems.

I've loaded them right to the upper edge of the cannelure and crimped them with a Lee Factory Crimping Die. How can I make them shorter if there's no room left?

Does anybody NOT crimp?

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Zanthope welcome to the board. Be warned; it's addictive [Big Grin] I just measured some Lake City 1954 AP ammo. The OAL is 3.327 which cycles fine through my springfield (built in 1947) garand.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
I alway7s seated my M1 loads to give the same OAL as the M2 ball round.....Used an M2 round to set the seating die. [Big Grin]

<haze10>
posted
I generally don't crimp and havent had any problems. I shoot the 147 gr BT whcih was the original loading. The M1 tends like the powder a little on the fast side and generally at full load to get proper cycling. There is also a 'trick' as to how you load your clip in. The bottom cartridge should be to the left (or right) side - I don't remember which, but without that the rifle has a tendency to strip over the last round. Does anyone remember whether its the left or right - been a while since I shot it.

<zanthope>
posted
Thanks for the comebacks, all.

I shot some of these rounds Saturday, with mixed results. They weren't especially accurate, which I attribute to a weak (45 Gr H335) powder load, and I had one jam, from a cartridge I believe was out at the maximum 3.340.

I've learned that crimping is a waste of time, and is not necessary unless I'm loading them in a machine gun (I wish!) or jumping into a hot LZ (too old!)

Haze10, I posted a similar round placement question over on Jouster. Someone came back with a paragraph from the U.S Field Manual stating that the last round was placed in the clip on the right as an aid to loading for right-handed riflemen....helps 'em stuff it in there.

[ 09-30-2002, 07:27: Message edited by: zanthope ]