Find
Notify
Tools

Magtech Primers / AR Powders
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted
With primers in such short supply, at least in my neck of the woods, One gun shop in town carries "Magtech". They had a good supply. I've never used them before and wondered if anyone had problems with them?

I picked up 1000 of them to try, in my new AR "Rock Rivers - Predator/Persuit. I found that they seemed to "seat" much easier than other primers I've used, (most brands). Has anyone had them back out....
I've also heard that they are harder (rumors) than say CCI, any truth, and is that a bad thing in an AR?

I guess while I'm at it.... I've reloaded for nearly 40yrs now, but never loaded for the AR, I've read just about every reloading manual I can find, there seems to be an abundance of powder that you can use. H335 - 748 and similar for bullets up to 55grs and Varget etc. for the 60gr and up.... Although mixed accuracy resluts from Varget..... Am I close? (rifle is 1:8 twist, 20" heavy barrel)

Any help would be appreciated, Thanks

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used magtech primers and they work fine. A harder primer cup is a plus, this avoids slam fires in an AR. I like Sierra's Reloading Data, because they have specific data for the AR. The load has to be hot enough to cycle the bolt. The powders you named are fine, but 748 can be a little dirty if it is not loaded hot in my experience. You can get some really good in depth info at AR15.com forum. Go to armory forum, scroll down to misc. then click on reloading. Hope this helps.

If you need some good used brass, I have had very go luck with Scharch.com (topbrass) they have once fired .223 brass that has had the crimp removed from primer, cleaned, full length sized and trimmed. You can also order it already primed, this is one way to get primers and not pay hazmat shipping.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AI22-250
posted Hide Post
Since I wrote the first, last November, I've used about 500 of the Magtechs.... They seem to be alright, except I've noticed nearly 10 misfires..... They were seated to the correct depth and the rifle is a new Rock River Persuit/Predator. I haven't had the problem with any other primer.... Not a real problem is your just plinking, but when you've taken your time on a long range coyote, it's not much fun...

"Any society that will give up a little liberty to gain a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
-Ben Franklin

Posts: 289 | Location: Holladay,UT (SLC) | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used about 5000 SR (that's correct, rifle not pistol) in a Kimber 38 Super 1911 without any problem at all.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
try www.patsreloading.com for WCC-844 powder. It is what the government loads 223 with. Also WCC-846 is the .308 powder.

This would be a good time to stock up before the Obaminator outlaws it.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I tested the Mag-Techs against Federal 205 Match, CCI-BR4's and Remington 7 1/2's in the 204 and 223............conclusion........I could hand you a ahndfull of ammo loaded with all the above and the rifles would still shoot little bitty groups!! Next time I have a chance to get to get 100,000 or so, I'll stock them in my store!! And give my customers a chance to reload quality without having to mortgage the farm! GOOD PRODUCT!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote