New
Find
Notify
Tools

Less than max cartridge length
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I assume the bullet manufacturers wouldn't make a bullet that at less than published max cartridge length would be jamming the lands.

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

That depends on a number of factors; your rifle barrel, bullet & cartridge O.A.L.

It is normally pretty difficult with most of the standard & less than heavy weight for caliber bullets; i.e., the "lightweights" to get them out into the lands with most off-the-shelf factory hunting rifles. Target, specialty & custom rifles not included. Especially since the bullets still requires enough purchase in the case neck to keep 'em where they're supposed to be. Some bullets are actually 2-diameter with the shank larger diameter than the nose, so you may never get that bullet out into the potential "danger-zone" due to it's physical properties.

Having said that I was using a Sierra 165 gr. HPBT GameKing in one .30/06 Sprg. load, used the same cartridges in a newly purchased rifle and had the bullet (well within "normal" cartridge O.A.L.; although at maximum) jammed into the lands of the new rifle. This to the point where cartridge ejection pulled the bullet from the case.

I attempt to start with the bullet @ the case neck junction to keep from using too much powder space to accomodate the bullet since I'm into as close to 100% density loads as I can manage. I work cannelures and other bullets features into the Grand-Scheme-of-Things, too. Figure out a best course and go from there; taking given SAAMI or CIL O.A.L's into account.

On the other hand many of my various loads for cartridges in .224" caliber have a .224" bullet seating depth because that is sorta a Rule-of-Thumb for bullet purchase. They are also primarily target loads and don't have to stand up to the rigors of field use.

I also consider reliability a Key Feature for hunting loads as they'll have to withstand the most demanding use; keeping their parameters within the most reliable I can with acceptable accuracy & velocity.

My expereince with Barnes in their TT & TSX versions is that they prefer a "jump" to the lands and this bears out my penchant for Lee Factory Crimp Die in the foremost groove. Makes for a "short" cartridge but they perform excellently when loaded thusly for me & my rifles.

You can use a Stoney Point Widget during load development or conduct an Acid Test with completed cartridges (not my favorite method) you'll note the results.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
A COL shorter than maximum can still jam a bullet in to the lands. Different Ogives.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just made my first loads ever and will be doing a ladder test. All the published info for the speer 130gr and 145 gr BTSP states COAL to be 2.73" I ended up with 2.74" +-
I think I will black sharpie one of the fowlers and see if it hits the lands, I doubt it, as the SAAMI published MAX COAL for the 7mm-08 is 2.81" Just want to make sure I am not running into unexpected pressures.

"I will not raise taxes on those making more than 250k"

one of us
posted Hide Post
It does happen with my 264Wm all the time. But that is an unusual case. The original 264s had NO leade because of the light bullets and the fact that the original 264 bullets were of a dual diameter type so they would never touch the lands regardless of what OAL one used. Some books ose the OAL as if the lands begin immediately (dual diamater bullet) and some use the OAL as if there were standard leade.

Try looking at the difference in the OAL for the 264 using the Hornady manual for the 129 bullet and the Nosler for the 125 Partition. Shouldn't be that much difference, but there is.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote