THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is the deal with Hornady G-max bullets?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I see the adds in Shotgun News, about the bullet having a plastic tip, but not solid Copper, but rather solid gilding metal for less fouling.
But I can't any trace of them on the internet Confused

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found some at Graf's

Search for Hornady GMX

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
I just did a search on AR two days ago to see if anyone has shot them. Not much out there in the way of reports. I've got too many irons in the proverbial handloading fire right now to try them myeslf, but I would like to hear more about them if you end up buying the GMXs.

Good luck!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Funny you should ask!

These are 165 30 cal GMX, shot from my 300 WSM at 3077 fps @ the muzzle, hit water filled gallon milk jugs lined up end-to-end @ 100 yds.

I didn't try to shoot a group, they hit the same as my 165 interbonds, just checked to see if the scope was still on from last year.

Pretty nice 'shrooms eh.?!

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if they anneal the gilding metal before the final swaging operation.
It will be interesting to see if they can get small calibers to work that well.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kenati
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz:
Funny you should ask!...

Pretty nice 'shrooms eh.?!

Thanks, Grizz! Yes, those are very nice looking. I put in an order at Sinclair's and MidwayUSA today. I had some 165 gr. GMX in the shopping cart too for my 300 WSM, but I took them out at the last minute. I have enough shit to test already for this year! You know how that goes. haha! Good luck!

Posts: 1051 | Location: Dirty Coast | Registered: 23 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have enough shit to test already for this year! You know how that goes. haha! Good luck!

I cointenly do! Now I have to do a load work-up to see how they group. I used H-4831SC for those loads, 68.5 IIRC. Got some of those left, I'll go up from there to max .5/load.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple years late, I'm trying those GMX's myself. Have been using Barnes TSX & TTSX & Nosler Partitions in the 6,8's, 338 fed, 7 mags, and 30-378. Hunting buddy got me to try out the GMX's which are 5 bucks cheaper from Sinclair; claims they hold good groups and penetrate better; ordered 5 boxes each for 6.8 & 30-378. Can't wait to load up those 165s for 30-378 and see.

What have you all been finding of late?

Posts: 521 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 12 April 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shot my Schultz & Larson in 270 win last week using 60gn of H4831sc and the 130 GMX.Can't fit any more powder into the case with these long projectiles.
Three three shot groups went
1/ 0.60"
2/ 1.67"
3/ 1.27"
At 300 metres.
Got some Barnes on the way.Hope they shoot as well.
rob

"the older I get, the better I was"

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote