New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes e mail and TSX loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone able to give me Barnes e mail for technical questions? (I'm at work and the internet filter is on Mad)

Looking to mail them for load notes for the 120gr TSX in 7x57 and the 130gr TSX in 30-06 but would appreciate any favourites.

I have accurate loads in these bullet weights using VVN150 in the 7x57 and XMR 2015 in the 30-06. Both have long throats so TSXs will be miles from lands.

Generaly how much lower charge weights does one require for TSXs than conventional bullets and what's fouling like? The 06 has a pitted barrel.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only e-mail address I can spot on the Barnes website is this one (listed for both technical and non-technical questions):

email@barnesbullets.com

About charge weights for TSX bullets, Barnes only states that you can sometimes use up to 2 grs more than you can for regular X bullets. I have found that TSX can normally be loaded close to max for regular (non-X) bullets as well. But your mileage may vary...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Many thanks!

These bullet weights work so well year round that I would like to be able to use tougher versions for bigger game such as reds when the need arises.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
These bullet weights work so well year round that I would like to be able to use tougher versions for bigger game such as reds when the need arises.

You mean you'd like to use HEAVIER TSX occasionally?? (I did not quite get what you meant with "tougher").

If that is what you meant, and you are talking about reds from the UK (England, Scotland etc), then just use the TSX weights you are currently using. Heavy bullets really only offer one thing over lighter bullets in terms of terminal ballistics: more penetration. But that part has largely been taken out of the equation with (TS)X bullets. They penetrate so deeply, that unless you are hunting really tough game, it is just fine to drop down a weight (or 2 or 3) when you go to TSX bullets. And, (TS)X bullets really dote on speed, so the faster you run them the better (not counting possible bloodshot meat here).

So for the size of reds available in the UK, I would personally just stay with the loads you have already cooked up...

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I used the Max load listed in the BARNES book for my 150gr TSX bullets and found it to be to hot. I would recommend using the starting load and work up even though they say you can load it 2 to 3 grains hotter.

300 Rem Win Mag 150gr TSX shot great but sticky bolt had to pull the bullets and reduce the charge.

Good luck

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In testing with my 7x57 with a pressure trace system, the TSX bullets use 1 grain less powder to get the same pressure and velocity as a Nosler partition. Yours of course may be different. I never had a lot of luck with the standard x bullet, so don't have a comparison with them. The TSX's shoot real well in my Ruger 77, actually it's the best load I've shot in it and it's been shot a lot.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1894mk2: I have loaded the 130gr TSX in my 30-06 in fact I'm using it for my antelope hunt this weekend. I worked up 2 different loads one using 53gr of IMR 4064 the other using 59.5gr of H-4350. I'm going with the H-4350 it is by far the most accurate bullet I have loaded up in the 06 my 3 shot grouping is .75 @ 100yds.

Posts: 64 | Location: Utah | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
just use the TSX weights you are currently using.

Mike that is exactly what I meant. Reduced recoil, similar trajectories and no need to mentaly adjust which can be useful under pressure.

Barnes have allready e mailed me the load data and I note with pleasure that both powders I am using look good choices.

The max loads are very similar to my conventional max loads which makes me think that Barnes max loads are hot as Swede44mag has noted.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BretNAdams:
1894mk2: I have loaded the 130gr TSX in my 30-06 in fact I'm using it for my antelope hunt this weekend. I worked up 2 different loads one using 53gr of IMR 4064 the other using 59.5gr of H-4350. I'm going with the H-4350 it is by far the most accurate bullet I have loaded up in the 06 my 3 shot grouping is .75 @ 100yds.

Brett

Good luck in your hunt, let me know how you get on and how the bullet did on light game.

Did you chrono it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
[

Brett

Good luck in your hunt, let me know how you get on and how the bullet did on light game.

Did you chrono it?[/QUOTE]

1894mk2:
I will let you know how the hunt turns out. I do not own a chronograph, I suspect it is moving around 2900fps, I used X bullet data and H-4350 max is 60.0gr @ 3161fps they tested with a 24 inch barrel, mine is 22 inches long. I loaded some with 60.0gr but the 59.5gr shot better.

Bret

one of us
posted Hide Post
1894mk2:
I had a very interesting antelope hunt. We had a storm front come in saturday morning and the wind blew hard all morning and afternoon. I could not get within 500yds of the antelope. On Sept 1st I had back surgery and was wondering if I would even be able to go. Saturday morning I told my brother that I would prabably be good for 2 walks of about 1.5 miles each. We had snuck up on a group of about 8 antelope laying down and one was a good buck. The antelope were down hill from me and I estemated them to be at about 350 to 400yds the range finder I was using didnt work I shot and the bullet went 2 feet over the buck I stood up and they were only about 200yds away. I drove around till about 3:00, went back to the hotel showered and went and got something to eat after we ate the wind had died down so we decided to go back out and see if we could see something close. We got about 3 miles out of town and this group of antelope were about 450yds off the dirt road so I snuck up to about 400yds layed down took a good rest and shot, the antelope went down as hard as any animal I had ever seen shot I was really proud of myself since I really didnt want to chase after this animal. When I had got to the animal I had hit it right behind the ear the exit hole was as big as the entrance hole. It was a fun hunt.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my 7/08 I find that approximately half way between the max loads for X and XLC is about max for the TSX. i.e. a grain more than X and about the same less than for XLC, loading Varget and 140 TSX.
At 2900+ fps the load is very accurate, with awsome terminal performance.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote