New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes banded solid feeding issue
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've been working up loads for my 416 Rigby. I'd pretty much settled on a load with the Barnes banded solids, over 102gr RL22. 2380fps, one moa.
After loading up a batch for an upcoming hunt, I was cycling all of them through my rifle to make certain of chambering. About one in 20 or so want to hang up, about a third of the way in. It seems they are angled up just a hair more than they should to allow feeding. I've put aside those rounds that did this, but now there is an element of doubt. I've never had a problem with the TSX, and I'm blaming the shape of the BBS with their flat meplat. There is a gouge on the meplat when this condition occurs. Just wondering if anyone else has seen this.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is the weight of the bullet you're loading? I'm thinking that you may want to "adjust" your magazine spring/follower to better align the cartridge. Perhaps some other adjustments would help.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
My CZ doesn't like the ogive -- shorten the OAL.

Posts: 4862 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm shooting the 400gr BBS. I'm seating them at the front of the last cannelure groove. The LOA is 3.628, which is near minimum according to the Barnes manual, which says 3.625-3.75.
The rifle is an Enfield custom.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You for the seating depth. For some reason
I was seating to far out and blaming the gun.
Now I can go Buffalo hunting without doubt.
5 weeks and counting!!

Posts: 73 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I just got my 375H&H back from the smith last month that had some feeding as well as other issues. My smith called me before he sent the rifle back and asked if I planned to use the BBS. He said he had 5 375's from various clients that would not feed the BBS. I don't use them so the work he had done to get my rifle to feed the 350gr Woodleighs was adequate.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My CZ 550 .458 Winchester magnum would not feed the Hornady DGS and DGX bullets. I polished the feed ramp with emory cloth and voila, it feeds like a champ.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote