THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did I screw up and get the wrong powder?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Couldn’t leave well enough alone and decided to try a new powder in my .338 win. After reading so many positive results with H4831 SC in the .338, I just had to give it a try. Only problem is that my local powder selection sucks, I’m too cheap to pay haz mat, and too inpatient to wait for them to order it in. I did find some H4831 though. Hodgdon lists 74.5gr with a 225gr Hornady SP as a compressed load delivering 2792 fps. Using a 4 inch drop tube, do you think I will have any trouble getting 74 gr into the case? I’m using the 225 gr Interlock and the 225 gr North Fork. The NF is a little longer bullet, but I should be fine, as this bullet typically requires a grain or two less than what I shoot with the Interlock.

I realize that the SC meters better and delivers a more dense load, but I’ll have to wait a month for it. I’m inpatient remember… So, is it worth working with the H4831 for 100 rounds or so until the SC comes in, or should I wait it out and sell the H4831 to my hunting partner?

Anybody have any experience with these two powders in the .338?

Posts: 173 | Location: Michigan, USA | Registered: 25 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just use the H4831. Most of the time no one has SC in stock here either.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
they shoot and load the same.
TRy dribbling the powder into the case.
I lightly tap the case on the bench to get the powder to settle in a little tighter

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
Get a knife and cut each grain animal

It will work fine tap on the case

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used that load for years,in fact 75 gr H4831 in my .338 WM w/ 225np w/o any problems at all and the gun just lovesem. Dr.C

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle