Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

3 newbie questions
 Login/Join

posted
I have some questions, I did a search and didn't quite find exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully I didn't just miss it.

1. When buying dies, will any brand of die fit with any brand of press, or should they be they same?

2. I have the book ABC's of Reloading, but I'm confused on when to crimp and when not to, also which kind of crimp.

3. I'm planning to reload .40 cal and have noticed a lot of times they are grouped with 10mm stuff. I know they're not the same, but what exactly is different between the 2?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Mike

Posts: 17 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 03 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most all dies will fit any press,the only one that i can think of that use it's own die are the dillon sd press.
all auto's use taper crimp
revolers use roll crimp
10 mm is a little longer than a 40 it is like a 38 and 357 the 357 little longer litttle more power.don't use 10mm load data in the 40 s&w

Posts: 82 | Location: az | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Exactly what I needed. Thanks!
As for the .40/10mm thing, the same bullets and cases can be used as long as the cases are the correct length. Am I right?

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jwb72:
I have some questions, I did a search and didn't quite find exactly what I was looking for. Hopefully I didn't just miss it.

1. When buying dies, will any brand of die fit with any brand of press, or should they be they same?

2. I have the book ABC's of Reloading, but I'm confused on when to crimp and when not to, also which kind of crimp.

3. I'm planning to reload .40 cal and have noticed a lot of times they are grouped with 10mm stuff. I know they're not the same, but what exactly is different between the 2?

Thanks in advance for any help!

1) as stated above, untill you get to loading the .50 BMG, Most (99%) modern dies will fit most (99%) modern presses. The standard thread size is 7/8" dia, x 14 threads per inch written as 7/8" -14
3) 40 S&W

10mm

(these are from Steves pages, He has a phenominal site here Steves Pages (http://stevespages.com/page8.htm) and will answer a LOT of your questions)

2) Left the worst for last... There are no rules for crimping. In most cases if you're using a repeating weapon, you'll crimp to ensure the bullet won't move because of recoil. other than that the crimp will have an effect on pressure, accuracy, velocity... and just about everything else. stick with reading, and this site and you'll be fine. (also Stevespages)

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The main concern about the sizes is that most of the stores in my area only have 10mm cases and not much .40. Looking around online, though I found .40 cal stuff isn't very expensive. So I guess that's not as much of an issue. Thanks again, this site is great!

Mike

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
jwb, you should NOT use cut down 10mm cases in the .40s&w. The 10mm case uses a large pistol priner (hotter) the .40s&w a small. The 10mm case will have an inside taper that you remove much of when trimming & this could cause the bullet to fit tighter & increase pressure. Same bullet diameter but definetly not like the .38sp/.357mag relationship.
The .40s&w is already running near +p pressure so you don't want to mess around substituting cases. Check on line, you can buy OF .40s&w cases very cheaply, Midway is just one example.

You will always crimp pistol rounds. Rifle rounds are the ones that crimping is optional.
Hope you & your got through the recent storms, nasty!

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I found soem .40's online, I was hoping there would be more around here close, but online works, too.

Yes, we made it through the storms ok, thanks! Actually all we got here in the bottom of TN was a lot of rain and thunder. We got lucky!

one of us
posted Hide Post
One more thing... the .40 S&W and the 10mm Auto use the same set of dies. Put just a little bit of taper crimp on the rounds and you'll be in good shape. Overcrimping will tend to distort the bullet a bit, and can buckle the case if it's really excessive.

I like to crimp just enough that the bullet doesn't move back into the case when I press it hard against a table with my fingers.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote