Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.8 spc in the AR platform
 Login/Join

posted
Can someone please help me understand the reloading basics for this round? I have seen different dies for this round and am confused on which one I should have for my AR. For example, I have seen new dies by RCBS listed for AR and other semiauto loaders, but these are 6.8x43 with a "taper crimp" I have seen 6.8x44? You see my concern.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Can't help you. Frowner
Welcome tot he forum.

If you haven't already I would check over on this forum.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/b/3_.html

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are at least 3 different chambers for the 6.8. You need to know which chamber your rifle has, and which dies match. You might have to call your uppers maker for some guidance.

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of NRC
posted Hide Post
The 'spec ii' chamber has a bit more freebore, and a slower twist.

Its interesting to me that on the forums there are those who trumped the advantages of freebore and slower twists in the case of the 6.8 whereas tighter chambers and fast twist is all the range for 223/556 barrels.

That said, the 6.8 is potentially one of the more practical rounds available for the AR15 for hunting, and I hope it continues to be available.

Reloading the round isn't much different that for other AR15 rounds - tend towards FL resizing and/or small base dies and you will be ok.

Nate

Posts: 52 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all who responded

One of Us
posted Hide Post
John, what upper do you have?

Posts: 3034 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 01 July 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6.8 SPC is 6.8x43. SPC II has 0.100" more throat. Best twist is 11 to 12. 4 groove 5R and 3 groove poly rifling has worked out well to keep pressure down. ARP, Bison, Wilson, and Noveske highly thought of as barrel makers. WOA and a few others do nicely too. I have an ARP and a WOA.

I personally like Redding dies. Best to use the Lee Factory Crimp die with this round.

Three major brass makers. SSA small primer brass is tough and kinda the standard. Hornady small primer brass seems to be a bit more consistent. Few are too happy with Remington large primer brass.

95 gr TTSX considered to be the best bullet for penetration. 100 gr AccuBond good for general hunting. 110 SPH is well liked for deer hunting and paper shooting. 120 gr SSTs have a good following too.

AA2200 seems to be the powder that works best in the round. Lots of folks getting very, very good velocity with it.

Magazines are a bit of an issue right now. Best and most expensive are PRIs because they allow OALs of 2.300 of so. C Products used to sell mags that allowed 2.295" and were cheap ... but they are having problems and are regrouping at the moment. Some makers mags only allow 2.260" OAL and this ups the pressure some.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Excelelent post Mike. I have 3 6.8 AR's and it is a great round. I use a lot of the 110gr ProHunters. Work great for accuracy and deer size game.

My main powder is H322 but most 6.8 guys say RL10 IIRC give best velocity/accuracy.

I'm using basic Redding FL die, comp seater, anf Lee FC die. PRI mags way to go. I have some C-Prod mags with the Magpul followers and they function well but seem not to last more than a few years if kept loaded -- seam weak.

Good luck, 6.8 is my favorite AR round.

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I have a gunshow upper/Eagle lower that loves 100gr Speers and H-322. C-prod mags.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote