New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good reloading kit?
 Login/Join

<glock20rocks>
posted
At present, I do not reload, and know very little about it. However, thanks to the (very cool!) people on this forum, I'll be getting a .458 Win. Mag. soon, and that's just a bit to costly to shoot w/o reloading, so...time to take the plunge!

I probably won't be doing much high-volume reloading, but don't want it snail-slow either [Smile]

All I need it to be able to load the big-bore rifle rounds, starting with the .458 and going up from there (.458 Lott, .577 NE/T-Rex & .600 NE seem likely "next steps"). It'd be extra-helpful if I could also load big-bore handgun rounds like the .50AE, .454 Casull, and .475 Linebaugh...it'd certainly save a lot of $ for those stupid things...

I've been looking at the Hornady Lock-N-Load (always have like Hornady for some reason), but I'm not sure if it'll do the big-bore rifle rounds...

Any suggestions?

(man, this is a lot longer than I thought it'd be...sorry if I put anyone to sleep who tried to read this!)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm still partial to the RCBS Rockchucker.....can load for many a year, and still be glad you bought it. Load anything you want, and won't overload the press.

SP

Posts: 112 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The RCBS Rock Chucker Master Reloading Kit and the RCBS Accessory Kit.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS master kit, I load from my .22 hornet through to my .585 Nyati on it (with appropriate bushing from CH4).

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PC,
Did you get your CH4 dies from a local supplier or order them from the States? If local, who stocks them? Thanks...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
<glock20rocks>
posted
RCBS Rock Chucker Master kit it is then!! Thanks for input everyone!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good Choice [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I love my Rock chucker

You might want a couple of manuals to add to that. (Hornady, Lee, Nosler,etc.) I like the Hornady for directions for new starters. [Wink]

Hcliff

Posts: 305 | Location: Green Bay, WI | Registered: 09 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
You can't go wrong with the rockchucker. RCBS will take care of you.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would also suggest the RCBS Rock Chucker,
but I would wait a couple weeks(or slightly
more) before buying, because RCBS will phase
out the Rock Chucker this month, and replace
it (for the same price) with a new press, the Rock Chucker Supreme, which is slightly beefier and taller for Magnum reloading. It will replace the original Rock Chucker in the Master Reloading
Kit by the end of the month. I think it is worth the wait...

reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
<glock20rocks>
posted
Thanks for the heads up reloader-1; I was going to wait a bit anyway; Midways out-of-stock at the moment!

one of us
posted Hide Post
glock20rocks,

I too am in the RCBS camp - love my kit. But I did go with Redding Competition Bushing dies. An important component!! [Big Grin]

One other minor suggestion - since you said you are new to reloading - Sinclear International has a book called Precision Reloading and Shooting which is one of the best books I have read. It have great detail and insight. Would like to know what others think.

[ 01-09-2003, 03:32: Message edited by: Harley ]

Posts: 36 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
glock20rocks

what did you decide?

Posts: 36 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 04 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got the 2003 RCBS Catalog, and the new Rock Chucker Supreme looks like one of the toughest presses I have seen yet. RCBS didn't just stretch it, they ironed out all the corners, beefed it up, added a left/right handle, and added a new(!) primer catcher design. Looks like a SWEET press ...

reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a myth that you will save money.

(I can head the howls of protest even at this distance.)

You would, if everything always worked out. I have powder on my shelf that promised to be the end all of powder, but that just didn't cut it. That powder cost money. I have bullets, bought and tried and found wanting after a few rounds. I estimate I have around $200.00 to $300.00 dollars worth of inventory that I don't have a use for, all of it stuff that wouldn't work.

I'll get all kinds of arguments on this, but there if one argument that can't be overcome: I enjoy the hell out of reloading and shooting, and because of that, I reload a lot and shoot a lot and that costs money.

Don't go in thinking you will save money. You won't. But if you like to tinker, welcome aboard.

PS: I've had nothing but RCBS equipment and have not had one complaint.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just took a second look at the description, and I realized that the Supreme Kit will be CHEAPER than the old Kit. RCBS no longer includes the Case Trimmer, Primer tubes, or the primer flip tray. Instead, they added the hand priming tool that RCBS makes... So it should be $10 cheaper than the old one at Midway or Natchez!

reloader-1