Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moly coating; Powdered Carnuba Wax??
 Login/Join

posted
Howdy again, and thanks for your replies on my .376 loading questions!
I am trying to get set-up for Moly-coating; I've done Ms. Moly in the past, and thought that I'd take a stab at 'the real thing'. Got all I need but that ellusive 'Powdered Carnuba Wax'. Where can I get it?; and what might be an acceptable alternative; how might said alternative be applied?
Thanks folks, and keep all those new powder combo's coming in regarding the .376 Steyr!!

Posts: 15 | Location: Central Idaho | Registered: 02 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll find it in "Neco Moly Plating Kit Refill Components".
http://www.neconos.com/shop/index.php?shop=1&cat=5&cart=1442
Jeff

Posts: 236 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RC,
I tried substituting the powdered Carnuba by using liquid carwax, dried liquid carwax, paste wax, etc, but nothing works like the powdered. The only place I know of to get it is at http://www.neconos.com/index.html

To use it, heat your moly coated bullets up to about 150F. Toss them into a tumbler that contains ground corncob and a very small amount of wax, like about 1/8 teaspoon to 1 or 1 1/2 cups of corncob. Tumble for about 5 minutes. If they come out looking splotchy with little bumps on them, you either had the bullets too hot (like above 170 or so) or you had too much wax. Strip them with a solvent and start over. They should look shiny & purplish-black. Sorry I cook like Grandma; I don't measure anything.

One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
I just use some liquid carnuba car wax, mixed in with some clean corn-cob media. I don't even know how much I use, maybe 1/3to 1/2 cup. Just squirt some in and let it tumble for a while and when you can put your hand in and can feel it on your hand you have enough. If you don't think you have enough put in a little more. Put your coated bullets in and tumble only for 2-3 min., That's how I do it and they come out great. Other people do it different, so you may get some other method. Good shooting...BA

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just finished my first batch of plated bullets a couple weeks ago(thanks to detailed and equally anal [Wink] instructions from Marshmule,thanks MM),if it ever stops raining I may even get to test fire some of them.Cleanliness is very important,use separate containers to moly and wax,and remember,even the oils from your fingers touching the cleaned bullets can prevent the moly from sticking.I tumbled them in a pill bottle,for 1 & 1/2 hours using 1/4 teaspoon of the Neco moly,sifted out the remaining moly.Threw a handfull of fresh media in another clean larger container added bullets and 1/2 teaspoon of powdered carnuba,and tumbled for about 8 minutes.Keep an eye on them as the wax can start clumping,if you go much longer.I ended up with shiny silver bullets,and it actually takes a bit of rubbing to remove any of the moly.I think heating them increases the possibility of wax clumping and I did'nt find it necessary.But everybodys got their own methods.
Jeff

[ 03-07-2003, 00:47: Message edited by: jsr ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
JSR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT DO YOU MEAN??????? ANAL!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
ROFLMAO! [Cool]

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marsh Mule:
JSR!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT DO YOU MEAN??????? ANAL!!!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
ROFLMAO! [Cool]

And I thought I was gonna get away with that one! [Big Grin]
Attempted to fire you an email last nite,but somehow deleted it as it was going out. [Mad] Try again tonite.
Jeff

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey RC, I use the same method as Bill Adams - liquid car wax in corn cob. Only difference is I do mine for 60sec.

I store that carnuba/corn cob in a zip-lock bag and it seems to last a very long time. I use "Kit Liquid Car Wax", since it claims to be 100% carnuba(but we all know that can't be true).

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote