Notify
Tools

Sportsman's Warehouse closing 23 stores
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Including my local one, maybe.

http://www.kpvi.com/Global/story.asp?S=9974818

While I have been disgusted with their selection and availiblity of reloading supplies for the last year...

...prior to their meltdown, I had a pretty good local source of supplies. I was hoping that the local store would make the cut and be better because of it.

We shall see.

Posts: 283 | Location: SW Oregon | Registered: 12 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lived in Pocatello in 02-03, where is it located? I don't think they had it when I was there. I use to go to Docs Gun Barn qute often. I believe thats what it was called. Before I moved back I bought a gun from there. The sportsman warehouse is 2 hrs away from me.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
I lived in Pocatello in 02-03, where is it located? I don't think they had it when I was there. I use to go to Docs Gun Barn qute often. I believe thats what it was called. Before I moved back I bought a gun from there. The sportsman warehouse is 2 hrs away from me.

In Chubbuck, behind Wally World. New 2007?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
jtinidaho, has it always been there. I use to live at the edge of town, I guess it would be north across the freeway.

Posts: 528 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I strongly suspect that ours here in Fbks. will be on the close list. If it is, it's too bad. IMO, it's the bean counters who've screwed things up. If we lose our store, those of us in the interior are really screwed since there's no alternative. The store here just hasn't been getting stuff for about the last 6 months.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe a lot of them are in the Same Boat so to speak !.

Credit inventory current administration is making for a DISMAL ECONOMIC picture !.

A government large enough to grant you anything , is also large enough to take it away from you !!!. Eeker

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kennedy, The Sportman's in Poky is in an area the city developed in about 2006 and 2007 from what used to be a trailer park. It is south of I86 and east of Yellowstone, as JT said, behind Walmart. We are big time now with a Costco too. Smiler

Was in Sportsman's a couple of weeks ago to get some primers. The reloading shelves were basically bare, only about a dozen boxes of bullets and maybe 20 lbs of powder total. Not any real good choices in town for primer and powder.

Doc's is still in business but kind of expensive. A newer shop is Sam's. He is starting to carry more reloading stuff. Best news is he is moving to a new location in April and will have an indoor range. Don't know what the cost will be but a nice alternative to driving through snow to shoot in 10* temps in January.

Posts: 67 | Location: SE Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Im new to reloading and our store is going to close also, should i be looking for any of those small package items from lee or rcbs. Like shell holders and stuff? There's probably a lot of little stuff like that a rookie needs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
They closed the one between Dallas and Denton in Texas a while back.

The whole company has been near bankrupt for at least a year.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
SW has the list of closings and stores that are being sold to the Canadian co-op on their website.

http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/company.cfm

March 10, 2009

Stuart Utgaard, the Chairman and CEO of Sportsman's Warehouse Holdings, today announced that the company is taking two major actions to improve liquidity.

1. 23 stores are being liquidated to reduce bank debt.

• Aurora, CO
• Coon Rapids, MN
• DePere, WI
• Henderson, NV
• Lafayette, IN
• Las Cruces, NM
• Las Vegas, NV
• Legacy, TX
• Memphis, TN
• Nampa, ID
• New Berlin, WI
• Oklahoma City, OK
• Pittsburgh, PA
• Pocatello, ID
• Roanoke, VA
• Rogers, AR
• Round Rock, TX
• St. Cloud, MN
• Sioux Falls, SD
• Southaven, MS
• Visalia, CA
• Wichita, KS
• Woodbury, MN

2. 15 stores are being sold to UFA Co-op.

• Bend, OR
• Bozeman, MT
• Burlington, WA
• Coeur d’Alene, ID
• Fargo, ND
• Federal Way, WA
• Helena, MT
• Kennewick, WA
• Lacey, WA
• Missoula, MT
• Portland, OR
• Salem, OR
• Silverdale, WA
• Spokane, WA
• Vancouver, WA

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Am I correct in assuming that if a store is not on the list, it will remain open and in control of Sportsmans Warehouse??? Neither the Bears Fairbanks store or my local Casper store are on either list.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was in the Fairbanks Alaska Sportsmans Warehouse last Sunday talking with one of the employees. He didn't know if their store would stay open, only that they are being told it is being sold to the Canadian company. I think they're called the Alberta Farmers Group. He said they were only getting a trickle of incoming stock until the deal is done. If ya walk into the Fairbanks store and see a gun with a red tag, that means they have discontinued carrying it. That's too bad as both Browning and Beretta guns are red tagged. I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the gun inventory but there are a lot of red tags on the long guns.

Posts: 450 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry to hear this. They probably had one of the best selections of guns and reloading components in the Minneapolis, MN area prior to the meltdown (3 stores within a hour drive) all to be closed. They will be missed.

Jim

Posts: 119 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use the Missoula store regularly...I was talking with an employee last week and she indicated that her store was #4 in revenue generation in the SW chain.

I wonder what changes are in store when UFA co-op takes over?

The reloading shelves are pretty much bare...no primers of any kind...I got the last pound of IMR 4320...no Nosler bullets of any description...a handfull of sierra and speer products...plenty of Barnes bullets.

I will sure miss them if there are sweeping changes.

Cheers

Posts: 228 | Location: Huson Montana | Registered: 31 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
My wife worked for SW as a department manager for two years or so, ending in December. She said that the reason they have no merchandise in many departments is that SW has not been paying their suppliers....and therefore has been put on a "credit hold" cash-only policy with many vendors. She saw this coming last year and jumped to another company to avoid the closures.

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It appears that our local SW is on the "being sold to UFA" list. I hope this means that they can actually restock their reloading supplies. I hope the new ownership will be able to keep the prices as attractive as the former owners did. I think they just grew too fast and used too much of their capital on expansion and got caught by the credit crunch and were unable to keep their existing stores stocked with inventory. This coupled with Joe's bankruptcy filing worries me for future reloading component availability,as well as firearms.

Bullets are pretty worthless. All they do is hang around waiting to get loaded.

Posts: 515 | Location: kennewick, wa | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Chet
posted Hide Post
You are correct on the overly-quick expansion issue. Stu tried to take them from a local Utah business with 3 stores, to a nationwide chain with 70 stores....in about 4-5 years. Heck....the Vegas store that is slated to be closed only opened in November or so. Trying to add 20-30 stores in 2007/2008 seems pretty silly given the current business climate.

Posts: 290 | Location: Northern Rockies | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sep:
I was in the Fairbanks Alaska Sportsmans Warehouse last Sunday talking with one of the employees. He didn't know if their store would stay open, only that they are being told it is being sold to the Canadian company. I think they're called the Alberta Farmers Group. He said they were only getting a trickle of incoming stock until the deal is done. If ya walk into the Fairbanks store and see a gun with a red tag, that means they have discontinued carrying it. That's too bad as both Browning and Beretta guns are red tagged. I didn't pay much attention to the rest of the gun inventory but there are a lot of red tags on the long guns.

SEP & NF Mike:
From what I've been told, the Fairbanks, and all of the other Alaskan stores are supposed to remain open. It just so happens that my wife works with the wife of the local SW manager and I happen to know both of them. The manager's wife mentioned this to my wife yesterday (the 11th). I hope I'm correct but was hesitating to make any mention of it on any of the outdoor boards. If in the future, I'm incorrect, I don't want any flames for starting a "rumor". I too note that the Ak. stores are not on any list - dunno why.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The local store is selling almost everything off. 5-30% off regular prices. No discounts on guns or ammo though. The reloading department is cleaned out.
Supposedly the discounts will increase as time goes on. The store was crazy busy though and the good stuff won't last until the next markdown.

One of Us
Picture of dmiller
posted Hide Post
The Sportsmans in Bend, Oregon wont take gift cards any longer from The Sportsmans Warehouse company. Freaking Awesome.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Each person is born to one possession which outvalues all his others- his last breath.~~Mark Twain

Posts: 32 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote