Find
Notify
Tools

Amax in the 300 Winnie?.....
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted
Have any of you tried the 178grn .308 Amax in your 300 WM?

How do they compare in length (baring surface) to a 180 MK. The MKs are so short I can barely get them in the case (~1/8") when close to the lands. I'm seating them about 3/16" in the case and getting nice groups.

I haven't seen the Amaxes here locally so, I'm not sure of there dimensions.

How do you Amax shooters like their accuracy?

Thanks,

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am shooting that bullet in my Sendero .300 Win mag behind a max load of IMR4350. If I recall I can load them out safely far enough I have to chamber them individually...in other words too long for the magazine. I don't have the particulars right here with me but this is what I recall. Speed was right at 3100 fps (26" barrel) super accurate.....best thus far in that particular rifle and it is a very accurate rifle to begin with. Only used that bullet on one game animal....pronghorn at about 200 yds.....not much to go by as the shot was a rib-rib broadside pass thru that just flattened him.
I would try them in my rifle for any kind of long range competition shooting....just haven't had the chance.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

That rifle is very similar to the Police so, I shouldn't have any trouble. I may have to just buy some and give her a whirl.

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
74gr of RL22 with the 178a-max in a sendero SF was repeatable .5moa and better load. These were long seated to be ~.015" off the lands.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote