THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What is a good bullet and weight for coyote in a .30-06

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is a good bullet and weight for coyote in a .30-06
 Login/Join

posted
What is a good bullet weight for coyote? And bullet type/brand? I'm reloading a .30-06.

Posts: 16 | Location: Golden, Co | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
125's worked for me. Try Sierra's #2120, and IMR 4320. 55.0 grains should buy you 3100fps.

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
110gr Hornady V max if you gun will handle the little bullet accurately, or 150gr sst or 150 Nosler-bal-tip. [Wink]

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I'd be trying the 125-130 gr. weights, I bet on average they would be more accurate than the slightly faster 110 gr. bullet.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Speer TNT is accurate and explosive in .224 caliber, but I haven't used in in .30 cal. I think the .30 caliber weighs in at 110 grains. It would be my first choice (assuming you have no interest in saving the hides). If that didn't shoot well, the Nosler 125 Ballistic Tip would be a good bet, along with the previously mentioned 125 grain Sierra.

Actually, you may get your best accuracy from a 150 grain bullet in any of the above brands, plus some others. You can move it out at 3000 fps in most '06's, and that's going to give you as much range as you can use.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Losthwy:
What is a good bullet weight for coyote? And bullet type/brand? I'm reloading a .30-06.

I'm going to go against the "tradition" that tells us we have to use a light-for-the-caliber bullet for smaller game and varmints. Why?

IMO, any .30 bullet you can land on him will do the trick, it's just a coyote. Right? Wrong?

If any bullet you can hit him with will work, it would seem the problem becomes actually hitting him with it.

Since the actual challenge, and most of the work to be done, is simply landing one on him, the bullet that presents the best "hittability" would accomplish this best. Right? Wrong?

Hittability is the result of two factors, accuracy and trajectory. Based on this, I would suggest trying one of the mid-weight target style bullets, such as the Sierra MatchKing in 150 or 168 grain. Nosler Ballistic Tips are also quite accurate and have good ballistic coefficients. Many bullets intended for deer-sized game will deliver better long range performance than the "varmint" style bullets they sell for game rifles. How does your regular deer load shoot?

The lighter bullets, while exibiting dramatic expansion and high initial velicities, quickly fade and at longer ranges, fall short of the performance of a heavier bullet. Wind also takes it's toll on light bullets far sooner than heavier, more streamlined slugs.

I used to use bullets like the 40 HP in a .22-250, 100 gr HP in a 7mm and 110 Hp's in a .30, but eventually decided there was no real advantage at longer ranges and it can actually be beneficial to learn to use your serious hunting load. To see this illustrated, use a ballistic table or software to compare the performance of a mid weight slug to one that is very light.

The only possible advantage that I can think of may go to the light bullet is "safety" in the form of perceived reduced ricochet risk, but since 100% fragmentation cannot ever be relied upon, and the backstop must always be considered, this really isn't the advantage some think it is.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
<Savage 99>
posted
I talked with Sierra a short while ago about long range coyote shooting and they felt that about 2300 fps impact velocity might be required to expand a softnose bullet if a coyote were hit in the ribs for example.

An old standard for the 30-06 is the 125 Sierra but the 125 Nosler BT has a better ballistic coefficient. All of these bullets with richocet.

Like all these rifle questions it's a half dozen of this and six of that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Any good deer load will do actually. If you need to specialize though, 130gr Speer HP with 55gr 4320 in a Ruger#1 will do 3130fps chronographed, and stay well inside an inch at 100yds.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot foxes with my 30/06 loaded with 165 gr Nosler BT's. In my opinion the Nos BT's are a good varmint bullet for foxes on a windy night when spotlighting. I figure there is not to much difference between the Aussie fox and a Coyote [Confused]

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
130 speer HPs or 125 grn BT's.

Posts: 10170 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with PC, with the choice of bullet, I'd like to hunt with him, "Down Under"! [Cool] By the way you wouldn't happen to be an AC/DC fan would ya? I am! [Cool]

[ 08-31-2003, 16:36: Message edited by: Crazy Cledus ]