Find
Notify
Tools

want to reload, sick of factory loads.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted
well, i never thought i would be doing this, have used factory loads for 36 yrs. and i am finally had enough,you just get to using one factory ammo and the company switch's on ya, no longer available, go to another load, well for one i am tired of it.allway's wondered why my buddies reloaded. Well here is the big question: how do i get started in reloading, i have some buddies in it but i would sooner go this way. (save face, embarisment) do i buy book's, manuals etc. what it boils down to i can not get self gratifacation in factory ammo, must be getting old, hope it's not to late.Any help from you guy's would be most appreciative, i just hate a gun that don't shoot straight. thank's: Rick.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best start will be a reloading manual from any of the bullet manufacturers. Sierra , Speer , Nosler , etc. just to name a few are all excellent. Read and then read again. When you are ready I am sure that we all will have opinions on what equipment works best for us. When I began reloading it was this process I followed. The reading was invaluble. I also had the help of a friend who had been loading for years, He was always there and still is if I ever had a problem.
Regards
Rick

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
I like this site to find links on the shooting sports. http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/1221/index.htm

While this site has plenty of links with instructions and data too I second the above post and buy at least two reloading books. When you select a load compare it to the other book.

If it's a rifle you are going to load for I suggest you start with imr powder. http://imrpowder.com. I have found them to be the most consistant with the most reliable data.

[ 08-30-2002, 19:33: Message edited by: Don Martin29 ]

<goneballistic>
posted
You should first buy ONE good reloading book, then study it. I would suggest Lyman's 47th. It is a very descriptive manual, with regards to loading technique, record keeping, safety, all of the basics. You should of course get other manuals once you start loading. This gives you more choices when working up loads. But you should start out with one good manual, study the how to section thoroughly.
Afterwards, look into getting a good reloading kit. RCBS has a good solid kit, but Redding is top shelf. For the best value, I would suggest a RCBS Rockchucker kit and Redding dies.

Good luck!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid22/p1de03efab68c79fcc0e6e2a2cab69cbe/fda7d2c0.jpg

-

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Allow me to join the chorus: read! Don't forget your local library as a resource.

Also, check the National Reloading Manufacurer's Associations site. Good info, and nice plans for a reloading bench: http://www.reload-nrma.com/

Just remember, this is one seriously addictive hobby. Saving money is a dream..... HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everybody is telling you to read. I agree, but don't just read, pay attention to the rules. Reloading is safe, if you follow the rules. I use the Speer, Nosle and Barnes books as reference. Early on I started doing my reloading one step at a time to avoid confusing steps. That works for me.

And remember, the information you get out of the reloading books comes with a reputation that evolved. Break the rules, and you may just break yourself, the most common being trying to load a really hot load regardless of what the data says.

I forgot to add: It's a disease, but a good disease.

[ 08-30-2002, 20:53: Message edited by: RogerK ]

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote