New
Find
Notify
Tools

7-30 Waters cases
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a little information on fireforming for the 7-30 Waters case. I understand the 30-30 is the most common case to use and that there are a couple of others as well. I've never done any fireforming so all the help you folks can send my way will be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 118 | Location: Tonopah, AZ, USA | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
Unless you're willing to try to push a .30-cal. bullet down your 7mm tube, I don't think fire-forming is viable for your needs (i.e. don't try this).

Buy some 7-30 Waters brass (I know Federal makes some). Or, you may be able to get acceptable results by running the .30-30 brass through some 7-30 dies. I'd recommend the Reddings (Series B) for that purpose.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
RSY has it right, why form brass when you can buy good properly head stamped brass.
Forming is no trouble though if you have a large supply of 30-30 bras already on hand. Be sure to lube it well and just run it through your sizeing die. I have made 708 out of 308 - similar project - without a hitch. I suggest after you have sized a couple you check the neck thickness to insure the loaded cartridge wont be oversize for your chamber. The necks of sized down cases thicken and can require turning in some instantes.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Making 7-30 Waters brass from 30-30 cases is a breeze. It works just fine.

Just size 30-30 brass down to 7mm in a 7-30 Waters die and load it up with a medium pressure load for the 7-30 Waters cartridge. It will look like heck, with a donut so to speak on the neck, but it will work.

When you fire it in your gun it will blow the shoulder out to fit the chamber and you will have some good brass. I spent LOTS of money on Federal Premium 7-30 Waters brass and it did not shoot any better or last any longer than brass I made from W-W 30-30 brass.

The fire-forming loads that I used to make for my Contender barrel in 7-30 Waters were so accurate that I shot IHMSA pistol silhouette competition with them.

Virgin 7-30 Waters brass is getting hard to get, I believe.
I know that Federal does not make that expensive nickle plated stuff that I used to buy any longer.

You can make 7-30 Waters brass from the 375 Winchester, but it is more work and I am not sure it is worth it.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Real easy! Simply run the 30-30 case through your full-length die, load whatever bullet you will use, and let 'er rip. What comes out of the chamber will be a perfectly fire formed 7-30 case. You can faintly see where the old shoulder/neck junction was. No special loads needed. I used to load fireforming loads using the same powder charges that would be used for hunting. I could not tell the difference in performance between the forming loads and ones laoded carefully for hunting, either group size or chronoed velocity.

Yes federal does have new cases available, they're nickel plated though(and not cheap).

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I USE 375 WINCHESTER BRASS AND RUN THROUGH A 7-30 SIZING DIE,, THEY ARE SUPPOSED TO BE A STRONGER BRASS AND DO NOT HAVE TO BE FIRE FORMED..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty sure that Federal has stopped selling any 7-30 brass and the only way to get it is to buy the factory ammo and reload it.

check out their catalog or website.

v.r.
Graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I was sort of surprised by this but a quick look at both Midway and Midsouth shows that they don't have 7-30 brass...

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
EABCO sells 7-30 Waters brass formed from winchester 30/30 for $30 per 100.

7-30brass

Posts: 2 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote