New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moly coating TSX
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone here doing it? Impressions? I am thinking of the 168 in 30 cal outta my 06.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Teal325, The way I apply MOS2 uses "BBs" to peen the powder into the surface of the bullets. Due to the small grooves on the TSX bullets, I kind of doubt the BBs could get inside that space. But, I've not had a YSX in my hand to check this out for sure.

That would mean the portion of the TSX riding "atop" the Lands would not be coated. So, I'm not sure how well the performance would be. It may(or may not depending on the barrel) require regular old aggressive scrubbing to get the copper off the Lands and that kind of scrubbing will remove most of the MOS2 in the grooves.

I had the same thoughts as you did when I first saw a NorthFork and it's abundant grooves.

So, my best "guess" is Moly Coating a TSX just won't work as well as on a regular bullet.

Maybe some of the commercial coaters have a method to address this, but I don't know how it would work. Perhaps one ofthe Spray-on and Bake applications might work, but I've never heard of anyone having real good luck with them on even regular bullets.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Teal, I also like moly coated bullets, and have shot the 'regular' X bullet with their XLC 'non-moly coating' which did work to my liking. I would think that if the major surface of an triple X was coated and not the inside of the rings it would have the desired effect. At any rate I have heard of folks on the forums stating that they used a moly coating system wherein you placed your bullets, some shot(bb's) and moly in a plastic container and then put the container in your tumbler--and that this method didn't pollute your tumbler making it a moly only tumbler. I am interested in learning more about this method and would definitely try it on some triple X's as a like the performance of these bullets in a couple of my rigs. I'll be interested to hear if you end up with any coated.
Good luck--D.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Teal 325.
I moly plate the TSX. The inside of the grooves are not done. There is no fouling in my bore at least not more than the regular moly plated bullets. I use a tumbler with steel shot from NECO. I also wax the bullets.

The 100gr 25cal is the most accurate hunting bullet I have come across for a long time. They also produce 60ft more
velocity 3440Ft/sec with the same powder charge I use with other 100gr moly bullets in my Ruger#1 25-06. The smallest 3 shot group measured .216".

I also use them in my 25Hunter wildcat they don't shoot quite as good but still 1/2" with 3 shots. I need to adjust the load for this rifle. I load these bullets .010" into the lands, neck sized with a Lee collet die.

Barnes really smartened up their act with that bullet. I had quit using the x-bullets because of the insane copper fouling.
Fred M.

Posts: 465 | Location: Canada | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote