Find
Notify
Tools

45/70 Brass ????
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of MADDOG
posted
I am on the 10th reloads for a batch of 45/70. Is this un usual? They all seam fine primers seat well and firm. The loads are all kinda medium. What can I shoot for from these? 20 Reloads? Maddog

Joshua 24:15
www.teamfaithfull.net /
My granddaughter
"Multitudes loose the sight of that which is, by setting their eyes on that which is not".

Posts: 1899 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 03 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have some brass i have been reloading since 1980,it depends on how hard you push them.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
i got some used brass when i got my 45/70, don't know how many times it has been reloaded before, but i've reloaded them about 6-7 times since. i dicard any that look unusual around the base or have split necks. they should keep going for awhile yet. i have been using medium and light loads.

Posts: 76 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought my first box of 45-70 brass in 1972. They have been reloaded between 20 and 30 times. During that time the primer pockets have gotten a bit loose from so many primers being seated. Along the way 4 of the cases have died due to body splits about half way between the head and case mouth.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
have never read this and its just one mans opinion. But 45/70 , being a stait wlled case and a fairly low preasure round in the 1st place, it should last longer than a case with a shoulder.
The only thing I try to do to my 45/70 brass is to only open the case mouth as much as I need to,before seating,
when you open the mouth and then crimp,it over and over, you might create a weak spot over time.
So I try not to over do it...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a comparison, I reload for 7mm rem mag. I neck size only (Lee collet die). I generally get tired of looking at the cases after about 10 reloads, and scrap them. I shoot enough factory ammo that I have plenty of cases.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.