Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

85 nosler partitions in a 243
 Login/Join

posted
I am new to the forum and to reloading. I recently acquired a tikka t3 in 243, and I was just wondering if anyone had any good loads with a 85gr partition. I am also interested in the 95 horn sst. I am curios to know if anyone has done any hunting with either of the two mentioned bullets. I am trying to put together a load that my wife can harvest a javelina with this year. Any and all help is appreciated.
Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Javelina are fairly small, any 243 bullet 80 gr and up will do the job.

I have shot them with a 223, 55 gr Soft, with no problems.

Also Welcome to AR. wave

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have made several one-shot kills on white-tails with the 85 gr. Partition in a 6mmAI. They are accurate and expand well and leave a large exit wound. They work just as well as the 100 gr. Partition for me.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
my favorite antelope load is 42 gr H414 and the 85 gr np.

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler Partition is a little pricey for punching holes in javelinas, but will certainly do, as will the Hornady 95 SST.

As to "good loads", well yes, most of us can cite a load that is a favorite -- in one particular gun. Every gun is an individual and needs to have a load tailored to it. If you like the 85 grain bullet, you can pour roughly a case full of H4831 in a .243 and have an excellent load. Lots of other powders work well, too. Simply check a few reference books and select a powder that looks promising then work up from their "starting" load. I prefer the slower powders which take up most of the space in the case, but each to his own.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my books the 100 grainer is the bullet for .243. Cheaper ones placed right spot do the job. We only shoot the dumb ones that haven't read on the internet that a .243 requires "premium" bullet. If they are wearing glasses, have a book in their hands, a cell phone or other signs of being intellectual we don't shoot them---otherwise they work fine.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
briant, the Titka t-3 lite that I have likes the 85gr Speer hot core SPBT. and 43.0gr. of H-414, I use this on Antelope, and Mule Deer in eastern WY. I would say that the Nosler would work just as well.
6.5 SWEDE.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The partitions are a little expesive but the reason that I was asking about them is because the person I bought the gun from gave me a box of these as well. I am currently trying to see what will work well with the 70gr ballistic tips. I really just wanted to see what powders people were using so that I could get one that would perform well. I work at a local hunting store and the powder that we get in doesn't stay on the shelf very long. I am just trying to see what I should watch for and possibly buy. I have heard from a lot of people that H414 and IMR4350 are two good powders.
6.5 SWEDE
The federal power shocks are loaded with hot core's are they not? This rifle likes the 100 gr power shocks but I was just hoping to load something that would shoot as good or better. Maybe I will give those 85gr bullets a try, that is if I can find H414.