New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm rem mag to 264 winmag.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a few hundred 7mm rem mag bass (new) is it possible to re-size them to 264 win mag.
They look identical!

rgards
griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, this is possible. same case size except for the neck obviuosly.

Brass for the 264 in the past were hard to come by sometimes, and a lot of us just necked down the 7mm.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the cases are identical other than in neck diameter, and this 1/2 mm neck reduction is a cakewalk. Just lube the 7mm brass very lightly and run them through your .264 FL sizer. They may "grow" slightly in length, so you may need to trim and bevel the case mouths, but unless your .264 has a very tight neck they should need no neck thinning.

If the cases are either new or only once-fired then there is likely no need to anneal them. If they have been fired multiple times then the work-hardened necks may need annealing in order to come through the process without splits.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info!
I have just F/L sized 200, piece of cake.
They were in fact 6 thou short of 2.500" so no need to trim.

just one other question, I have been given conflicting advice,when the cases are once fired I only neck size them, I have been advised to F/L size them and bump the shoulder back 1 thou every time.
I do however get case/head seperation after about 3-4 loadings is this because I didn't F/L size?

regards
griff

regards
Griff

Posts: 1179 | Location: scotland | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by griff:
thanks for the info!

just one other question, I have been given conflicting advice,when the cases are once fired I only neck size them, I have been advised to F/L size them and bump the shoulder back 1 thou every time.
I do however get case/head seperation after about 3-4 loadings is this because I didn't F/L size?

regards
griff

regards
Griff

If you partial or neck size, you should be able to get better case life. Usually, FL sizing pushes the shoulder back & the case now headspaces on the belt which is wrong. Set your sizing die up so the bolt just closes on the sized case & you will have perfect case/chamber fit.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have only experienced this when I F/Lsize everytime.

I typically only neck size, and brass lasts much longer.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
quote:
Originally posted by griff:
thanks for the info!

regards
griff

regards
Griff

If you partial or neck size, you should be able to get better case life. Usually, FL sizing pushes the shoulder back & the case now headspaces on the belt which is wrong. Set your sizing die up so the bolt just closes on the sized case & you will have perfect case/chamber fit.

thumb

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote