New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have some once fired brass and noticed while prepping a difference. The pic is in order left to right W-W Super/R-P/Browning/PMC/FC. Notice the middle one (Browning) is shorter and neck shoulder angle is different. Is this normal for Browning brass? I have also noticed this with Browning in 7mm Rem Mag. Are these ok to load and use? What is the scoop. I tried to get a pic here hope it worked.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No photo appears, but if the brass was all fired in the same chamber then it should have the same external shape. If fired in different chambers then it will take the shape of those individual chambers and may have varying dimensions from base-to-shoulder or have a slightly different shoulder shape. I take it from your description that the brass was fired in different guns, thus the slight variance in the shape.

To fire it in a gun other than that in which it was originally fired will likely require full length sizing (and trimming the length back to within tolerance.)

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Belted mags do not care where or what shape the shoulder is as long as it will chamber; FL size, shoot, and ignore the shoulder.
(Although I like the shoulders to touch but that is beyond the scope of your question.)

Posts: 17294 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by magnumlaod:
I have some once fired brass and noticed while prepping a difference. The pic is in order left to right W-W Super/R-P/Browning/PMC/FC. Notice the middle one (Browning) is shorter and neck shoulder angle is different. Is this normal for Browning brass? I have also noticed this with Browning in 7mm Rem Mag. Are these ok to load and use? What is the scoop. I tried to get a pic here hope it worked.

If the shoulder is wavy (for lack of a proper term) its caused by too much lube & makes no diff. in loading.

Posts: 2361 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How can I post a Picture of what I'm trying to explain.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 69 | Location: caseyville, IL | Registered: 11 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by magnumlaod:
How can I post a Picture of what I'm trying to explain.

Upload the photo to a picture hosting service like postimage.org (or similar). Then paste a link to the photo into your post on Accurate Reloading.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well tried the post image site Mad that didn't work

NRA Life Member