Notify
Tools

RCBS Chargemaster 1500 or Lyman DPS 1200 III
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dmiller
posted
RCBS Chargemaster 1500 or Lyman DPS 1200 III

I have been looking at buying a trickler / scale combo. I have read quite a bit of negative feedback on previous postings with the RCBS. Lyman, I have read also has a few drawbacks however seems to have had less unhappy customers. Here are a couple of my unanswered questions so far.

1. Can I use the scale separately from the trickler?
2. What is the warranty and customer service like for the RCBS vs Lyman?
3. Are they easy to use?
4. Is it easy to store and retrieve information in the scale? I see Lyman offers PC interface software, does RCBS?

Anything else that I didn’t cover that you might think is pertinent would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks for your time….

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Each person is born to one possession which outvalues all his others- his last breath.~~Mark Twain

Posts: 32 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 04 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I asked this same question a couple weeks ago and from what I gather....buy what you like they both seem to be equaly good/bad

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on the Lyman, but I've just replaced my old model RCBS with the 1500, and I really like it. It's faster than the old model, and the old one would only go to 99gr, not enough with the big bores I have been loading for. The old RCBS looks a lot like the one PACT is selling now.

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bought both. Gave the Lyman away due to inaccuracy, slow to empty and slow to dispense. Kept the Chargemaster, but have experienced several equipment failures-- I'm on #4, all free from RCBS' excellent customer service. RCBS is easy to empty, and has a great repeat feature when you put the pan back on the scale, it auto dispenses another charge. Nothing is perfect, but I prefer the Chargemaster for customer service, repeatability, and ease of use. BTW, on the Chargemaster, put a piece of soft drink straw in the dispensing tube, just over the scale -- accuracy will improve. Cheers

Posts: 154 | Location: West of the Mississippi, East of California | Registered: 23 October 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Niether Pact has a lifetime warranty and is made in the USA.
Lyle

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whb309:
BTW, on the Chargemaster, put a piece of soft drink straw in the dispensing tube, just over the scale -- accuracy will improve. Cheers

pics please! popcorn

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bob from down under
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman DPSII and I have had good service from Lyman when getting my machine calibrated.
I sent a machine back from Australia and even being so far away was not a problem.

Regards,
Bob.

Posts: 480 | Location: Australia | Registered: 15 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dmiller
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input. I will look at the PACT!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Each person is born to one possession which outvalues all his others- his last breath.~~Mark Twain

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
LOL dmiller, why did you bother asking the question? You were going to buy a Pact from the get go. Just buy it and be happy, no problem.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Lyman DPS 1200 for years with satisfaction, then put the update kit in it and improved the speed and the changing of powders. It always stops on the correct weight. A buddy has a Chargemaster that never stops on the correct weight and it makes him red faced mad everytime he uses it. Of course I tell him how accurate my Lyman is and makes it worse. He cusses it and goes on anyway. Just my .02's worth. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dmiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MickinColo:
LOL dmiller, why did you bother asking the question? You were going to buy a Pact from the get go. Just buy it and be happy, no problem.

Didn't even consider Pact at first. Sorry for the confusion.