New
Find
Notify
Tools

Help! Two live primers and case stuck
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
My Pacific Super Deluxe had been acting up while neck sizing .218 Bee's. I took it apart, cleaned, re-lubed joints, and re-assembled it. It was still hanging up and not fully seating primers at all times. So while working the ram repeatedly, I seated another primer resulting in the case being stuck in the shell holder. A prime case of not paying attention while loading.

What shall I do?

Thanks, Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If there was already a primer seated and you tried to seat another the case should still come out of the shell holder. If it's jammed, I would just go ahead (with eye protection) just seat the case in the neck size die again as it should have a primer decapping rod in it and that should push both primers out. If you feel unsafe doing that you can wrap a heavy thick rag around the ram where the primers come out. I assume this is a C type single stage press right?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is no way you have any real purchase with the second primer: the pocket is too shallow. You have to really work to seat a primer even .005" below flush, and that is design, if memory serves.

Just judiciously pry on the case. I have to believe the second primer will pop free of its very small "hold" and the case will come out of the shell holder.

Let us know, and good luck.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Install your neck or FL die, which ever has a decap pin, and push the primers out normally.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you push the primer out with your sizing die pull the shell holder and case out and look into the bottom of the shell holder.
Check to see what the problem is so you can avoid it in the future. You may have a primer half seated, seated upside down or even sideways.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice, they came out without any problems. It was one live and one spent primer. The spent one hung up sideways and the live one almost snuck past, tipping the good one on end with both ending up side on. I never had this happen, so I was a little hesitant, but I knew where to get help. The other problem was I forgot and used my Hornady .22 short neck sizing die. The expander on this die is too large and the bullets are too loose to seat. I have to either put it on the drill press and polish some off or send it back with the Hornady .22 Hornet dies which have an atrocious seating die. So now I have to take the pin out of my full length Bee sizer to correct yesterdays work. Thankfully its raining too much for whistle pigs today. Its funny how some companies that have so many good products, just can't make some things right. Like the RCBS .223 Rem seating die tearing poly tips off. Well I've gone on enough...

Thanks again, Minkman

Posts: 659 | Location: "The Muck", NJ | Registered: 10 April 2004Reply With Quote