Find
Notify
Tools

New Favorate 7mag load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello fellas,
I spoke to a friend the other day and the load of 70gr of IMR7828 behind Hornady 154 SST's was recomended to me. I sorta thought this was a quite stiff load soo I thought I would work up to it. He promised me that this would be an absolute tack driver in any 7mm Mag. I started at 68 and worked up to 70 in .5 incraments. Today I went to the range right befor the rain started and was very very amazed. Out of all of them, the 68.5gr was the best. I shot a 3shot group all touching measured out to .351' I was amazed for this is a out of the box rifle with not a thing done to it(Remington 700 SS) I'm going to have to load some more of this recipe and try again to make sure it wasnt luck. The other groupings were nothing to cry about either. The largest group measured out to .89' and the rest were between the two.

Anyone ever try a load simular to this. Like I said, I thought this would be a really really hot load...but i had noo pressure signs what soo ever. I have been using mostly RL22 and H4831 but they havent been giving me groups like the 7828 did. Also, I do not own a Crongraph (poor College kid ) Can someone give me even a aprox. FPS on this load? Im guess maybe 3100

And my last question, How ya;ll think about this load performing on Pennsylvania deer and black bear. Shots will not be to awfully long....200yds max. Just thought i'd ask. Thanx for everything /Ryan

one of us
posted Hide Post
It will kill any deer or bear in the PA hills, but it would do that at 2600 fps too. Get A Crony!! I cant see how anyone reloads safely without one. They are under 100 bucks,thats not a lot of beer money and it really tells you what is going on inside your loads.

Posts: 1532 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redneck;
That's a pretty tight group you shot! I have some 7828 and I think I will play with it a little and see what I come up with!
I usually don't push the velocity too much, pretty much by the book! As a starter load, I usually find the red-line (Hornady Book) and drop down two increments and go from there! Usually "that" is my most accurate load!
My most accurate load in 7mm Rem Mag is with the 154gr Hornady Spire Point, 60.5gr of IMR 4350 and a CCI 250 primer! The book says 2900fps!
I have shot several 3-shot groups with this load, that could be "completely" covered with a dime!
My rifle is a 60's vintage Remington model 700BDL. I bought it used, in 1974 with a 2.5X8 X Bauch & Lomb scope on it, for $150.00. Sometimes we get lucky!
Regards; Chuck

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by redneck7mm:

Anyone ever try a load simular to this. Like I said, I thought this would be a really really hot load...but i had noo pressure signs what soo ever. I have been using mostly RL22 and H4831 but they havent been giving me groups like the 7828 did.

I've been using IMR 7828 with Nosler 140s in my 7mm magnum the last few years, and like it. I'm not sure the groups are that much better but the recoil seems different, maybe not as sharp, and the groupings seem like they might be more consistent. I didn't like RL22 that much. I used H4831 for quite a long time before the IMR 7828 experiments, and it is still my second choice.

Posts: 14632 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
I've also started using IMR 7828 in my 7Mag. Combined wiht the 160gr X bullet, I have a load that shoots tiny groups, with good velocity and good for anything in North America.

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Ryan - I7828 was the powder used in R-P factory 7RMag loads for years following the cartridge's introduction. It worked great then, and still does (the 300 W'by loves it with 180 grainers, too).

According to Load From a Disk, you're right at MAX, and should be generating around 3150 FPS from a 24" barrel. According to LFAD, 70.8 grains = ~52,400 CUP (I think SAAMI's MAX is 55KCUP?).

I've never used that particular bullet on any of our Commonwealth's critters, but, the standard 154 Spire Point works great, so, this one should too, I'd expect.

Chrony's are pretty cheap. I can't imagine doing solid load workups without one. Maybe you could sell some blood plasma or something [Razz] You're young, you'll have plenty of time to make more [Big Grin]

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 65 gn7828 154 inter and get 3100 out of
my 7 mag sendero.

Posts: 237 | Location: Wesson ms | Registered: 12 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To those out there who are fans of Ken Waters, I definitely remember an article he wrote for "Handloader" about 5 years ago where he updated his favourite loads for the great 7mm Remington Magnum. After all was said and done, what do you think was his most accurate load of all? Something like 67.5 grains of IMR 7828 with the 150-grain Nosler Ballistic Tip at about 3,100 feet per second. Second best was basically the same charge of Reloder 22 with the same bullet.

I can't imagine how you'd go wrong with 7828 and the 7mm Remington Magnum. From the success of your own load, it also seems that your personal experience is very similar to that of Ken Waters.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote