New
Find
Notify
Tools

Redding Custom Comp. Seating Die 'polishing?'
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have several Redding Custom Comp. seating dies that mar my bullets during seating. Specifically in .30,.270 and .22 cal. They mark all of the various types of bullets I seat, from Hornady SST and Interlocks to Accubonds, NBT's and Sierra Game Kings.

I have heard of people honing or polishing these die seaters to eliminate this issue, I am simply seeking some guidance on how to do this to these seaters--any insight would be appreciated.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would call Redding and see if they are as good at honoring their warnanty as RCBS. They should be replacing that die.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have experienced the same issue. My 308 die will shave very slight amount of copper from the bullets as they are seated. I have gone back to my old RCBS which does just fine. I will follow this thread in hopes of the voice of experience will shed light on what can be done without having to send the die back to the factory. That is such a pain!!

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chuck a bullet into a drill and coat it with Clover brand (or something from NAPA) grinding powder. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....rrrrrrr. Voila, perfect fit. No seating piece is perfect for all bullets. They only cost about 50 cents. Get a few extra in case you use a different bullet with a radically different shape. With big bore rifles especially I will pick up a couple extra seating cups and set one up for spizters and another up for round nose bullets.

Easy, peasy, puddin' & pie.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LD, thanks, that's the kind of plan I was seeking. I hadn't thought of being able to buy some additional seating cups, that I will do also.

Regards--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if it is possible, align the seater plug and bullet the best you can. Then as lawn dart stated, coat a bullet (the type you wish to use) in some grinding compound and run it into the plug while turning in the drill. This lapps your plug into the shape of the bullet nose and allows it to make contact with more of the bullet profile.

I have done this with many types of plugs, not just redding.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote