New
Find
Notify
Tools

necking up 243 to 308 win
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently sold my win 243 and purchased a 308. I have some 400 once fired cases for the 243. Is there any reason why I shouldn't run them through a FL 308 die to expand the neck?
I tried this on a couple of cases today and they looked ok. Are they safe to shoot?
thanks
rz

Posts: 462 | Location: Coogee, Australia | Registered: 26 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
robz

Read the post 243 to 7mm-08.

I had trouble trying to resize 243 cases to 7mm-08 so to go to 308 would have been worse for me,maybee you have a tapered expander in your die.

I only resized 5 cases that way,one was shortened slightly,seems the neck has been pushed into the case slightly so check your overall case length & one had a slightly bent neck.

My only other concern was case neck thickness,thought it might be borderline but it works fine but may be a problem with your 308.

I'm very happy with the fireforming method,it produced much better uniformity than resizing did & might be worth looking into for you.

Did you have to use excessive force as you resized the cases?

I was told that doing it repeatedly may cause excessive wear to the die.

I would be interested in knowing how you get on

tumbo@austarnet.com.au

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the neck will be short, but you can do this in 1 pass (1.62mm). If you get "rivets" for necks, you'll need to anneal the cases.

Myself? I would find someone to trade with...

part of the deal with really shorter necks, is that if you do crimp, your OAL will be shorter, reducing powder capacity.

have a blast

jeffe

Posts: 39697 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.308 brass is too cheap, either as once fired or gi surplus to waste shooting time for your project.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found it ez to do with new brass but harder to do with used brass. I did it in 2 steps with my hornady neck dies--went up to 7mm and then to .308. It worked great with the eliptical expanders--I also used imperial sizing wax which is very slippery.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote